Changing Power Steering Fluid Advice Needed

Hondamad1988

I'm going to have ago at changing the power steering on the MB6 tomorrow, I have read the manual and it says remove the return pipe and put it in a bottle, start the engine, and turn the steering lock to lock untill the fluid stops running.

My issue is that one of my mechanic friends has told me not to turn the engine on to drain the fluid because it may run the pump dry and damage the pump, but without the engine running surely the fluid wont drain out?

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt done it myself but its on the list of jobs to do. I would imagine that by removing the pipe at the lowest point it will drain out under gravity like engine oil. Then refill it and turn steering lock to lock a few times to bleed it. You wont get it all out in one go but the new fluid will do the world of good and you can always repeat it a few times so that the new fluid gets pushed around the system. after a few goes it should flush it through. Cant see why it would be any more complicated than that. Hope thats useful.