Grating noise when turning under full-lock (MC2)

Jipa

When turning my MC2 slowly under full-lock, a grating (or maybe whining) noise comes from under the front.

I am guessing it is steering/suspension related - like track rod ends, links, bushes etc.

My MOT is due soon and I want to be prepared...

Your experiences and comments please.

@Unicycling Tom

Not looked at the CV joints (or anything underneath for that matter).

I know what a CV joint is, but not what one looks like. Time to open the Haynes manual and start learning to be a mechanic...

I'll whip off the wheels over the Easter break and investigate.

Thanks for the speedy pointer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was gonna trade emceetoo, but then a 2.7 TDi A6 tried to pull away on the A6070. Ha, ha ,ha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was gonna trade emceetoo, but then a 2.7 TDi A6 tried to pull away on the A6070. Ha, ha ,ha.

that i what owning a mc2 is all about, and if you ever think about trading/selling it, just take it past 6k and watch all those thought's dissapear in the mirror. i've never thought about trading mine in, cause i can't find anything that would give me the same fun the deck give's me.

that i what owning a mc2 is all about, and if you ever think about trading/selling it, just take it past 6k and watch all those thought's dissapear in the mirror. i've never thought about trading mine in, cause i can't find anything that would give me the same fun the deck give's me.

Thats what makes me keep mine!

Have removed each front wheel and checked the Haynes suggestions: loose nuts/washers; rods OK; track-rod ends; and drive shaft/CV gaiters. The only obvious issue is the perished thingy in the photo...

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/Jipaowen/media/Civic-frontL-perished-gaiterApr13_zps7460b626.jpg.html

The Haynes procedure to expose the CV joint seems a bit complex. baby.gif]1

So, I took a few turns on full-lock and the noise is more like a scuffing - as if the front left wheel (especially) is chaffing on something. No apparant marks on the tyre.

Any suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@philgor/wilkesy

Driving a VTi on your own has always been fun. Mind you, I spend more time lugging the familiy around. :roll:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone got a link to how to embed images directly - rather than post a link?

Am sure I've seen it somewhere on here. banghead.gif1

Looks like your cv boot is perished, which means it has been letting all the cr4p in from the road which has probably worn the bearings explaining the grating you are hearing.

@nikh25

Sound logical, the noise is only really coming from the side with the perished gaitery-thingy.

@everybody

As it does have to be full-lock to be heard, any views on whether this is a MOT test fail?

What to do next?

If it's on full lock when you hear it I'd say it's definitely the cv joint, which you'll need to replace.

Not an MOT failure afaik but not good for the other steering suspension parts, try J&R on ebay, good price, quick service. :)