Vtec why so high revs ?

Homerduffbeer

Hello everyone just bought my first Honda civic 1.8 Vti , I was told the vtec kicks in at 5800 rpm but I just wondered why is it set so high up he rev range ? Am not used to revving my cars so high to get the best out of them are these engines solid/realiable enough to be taken over 7000rpm on a regular basis ?

Yeah they are bud!! Like i have always said, if you look after the motor with the correct service schedule and good quality parts, your b18 will quite happily scream its way to the top of the rev range for many years to come!! I know what you mean, its different to other cars and can be hard to get used to, but Honda engines are high reving, very reliable and very well made, (especially the B18 engine...bullet proof!!) so rev away bud!!! :lol:;)

Yeah they are bud!! Like i have always said, if you look after the motor with the correct service schedule and good quality parts, your b18 will quite happily scream its way to the top of the rev range for many years to come!! I know what you mean, its different to other cars and can be hard to get used to, but Honda engines are high reving, very reliable and very well made, (especially the B18 engine...bullet proof!!) so rev away bud!!! :lol:;)

marvelous I love that vtec !

Seconded. Honda is all about the high-revving "make the engine work hard" approach. They will run in VTEC all day without problems - as proven by taking mine on track so often and nothing breaking.

Good quality oil, and frequent changes is a must (some people change every 3k, but I do it every 6k or 6 months and had no bother) and make sure it's warm (20 mins gentle driving) before you boot it, but don't worry for the engine, it'll hold out. Just listen to it!

Like everyone has said . the engine are made to rev to make power in that 5800 rpm to 8250 rpm bracket . With good servicing the b18 is a great engine . once the car has warmed up i never change gear till i hit the limiter its the only way to driver them . Rich.

Archived