Timing belt

Roylewaa

As title was looking through my service history for record of a timing belt change of which there was none apart from a handwritten 'timing belt' and a question mark on the 80k service

Now having looked though the forum to see if the d series non vtec is a non interference there are conflicting answers on this

So decided it would be best to get the belt done, now I've read there is no need to change the tensioners etc just the belt (and the water pump to be on the safe side.) As the tensioner never fails

Is this correct?

Any info would be great, I had planned to get a gates belt and a oem water pump

As title was looking through my service history for record of a timing belt change of which there was none apart from a handwritten 'timing belt' and a question mark on the 80k service

Now having looked though the forum to see if the d series non vtec is a non interference there are conflicting answers on this

So decided it would be best to get the belt done, now I've read there is no need to change the tensioners etc just the belt (and the water pump to be on the safe side.) As the tensioner never fails

Is this correct?

Any info would be great, I had planned to get a gates belt and a oem water pump

as far as im aware most honda`s are interference engines (dont quote me on it) but pretty sure as i was looking this up a while ago myself. i got skf timing belt kit from ebay for bout £83 which was pretty good compared to motor factor prices and havent had any trouble from the kit so far.

Get a tensioner for what they cost mate. Just to be on safe side. They do fail. Maybe rarely but it can happen.

Must admit though I thaught they were non interference but I am not positive on that. Still better change the belt and not find out the hard way

Thanks chaps, wish I'd saved the timing belt for this car not the last one

Not looking forward to breaking it to the wife that its massively overdue, as she is a when it breaks fix it kind of gal, does not understand the whole concept of timing belt schedules

Thanks chaps, wish I'd saved the timing belt for this car not the last one

Not looking forward to breaking it to the wife that its massively overdue, as she is a when it breaks fix it kind of gal, does not understand the whole concept of timing belt schedules

are you doing it yourself? 

I have to get the bits together first, it's no drama to tow it round the garage if he can't get the bolt off, the lads in there will whip it off for a tenner for me:)

I know the belt snapping arnt a common occurance but better to be safe than sorry, not like vauxhalls or alfas that snap their belts for fun

Timing belt snapped on my dads astra at 17k!