Lowering an MB3 on a VERY tight budget.

jamezzz

hi team civic5! just joined tonight! had a good look the site! looks like mb ownership will be a breeze with all this info! i've just bought a 1998 mb3 1.5 and although my heavy modification days are behind me, it's a difficult bug to shift and i'd like to do a couple of things! had a ek4 vti and eg9 vti in the passed. all i plan to do with this one is some 15" oem honda alloys, some mb6 vti-'s body bits and lower the suspension. which is where my question comes in.

i know coilovers are the best, and lowered springs with shortened shocks are ok, but my budget is very tight. having had a look through this forum, it would appear mgzs-180 shocks are a straight bolt-on upgrade and are shorter than my mb3 or even then the mb6 shocks. is this 100% correct? also, regarding springs, i'm looking to lower the car 40mm and have it sit pretty level as it appears alot of spring kits sit these mb civic's nose-down, with a nice wheel near archlevel at the front and a unsightly gap between arch and tyre at the rear. anybody recommend a spring kit that would do this for me?

i have been offered a set of second hand apex springs in good shape but here's the weird thing, 2 of the springs they are selling are apex part number 180-3031 which is correct for my car on apex's database but the other 2 springs they have are apex part number 180-3030 which shows as being for ej and ek civic 3dr hatch's and coupe's. they say it lowered their 1999 mb civic an even 40mm all round. is this spring combo recommended or feasable?

any info would be very helpfull. many thanks guys!

I don't know about the springs I'm afraid. The MG shocks will fit, and lower the car a little but I'm not sure how much by.

Just wondered, if you're on that tight a budget is it really essential that you lower the car? Personally, I feel that it's one of those things that worth doing well if it's worth doing at all. I'd suggest to stick it out as it is until you can afford a higher-quality suspension setup that gives you what you want.

i would agree with stoo i have mb3 and like you was not going to spend to much as it is a day to day car . thats gone out of window just can not help may self :lol: this is my next call to lower it but going to save and wait and get a good kit not mega money but not just springs :D

i think lowering and wheels are the most important changes to make to make a car look good. a simple clean look is my preference. i can understand the principal of saving up for a proper set-up but with family etc the main priority, i can only justifying spending a bit to make my car my own. so mgzs-180 shocks it shall be. just need some advice on the springs....

mg zs 180 shocks and springs will lower it roughly 5mil. I would try and stick to that to be honest because it rides and handles very well, although you will still look like an off roader!! i was able to pick up a set of new Jamex springs off ebay for under £100 and i couldn't complain, the only reason they came out is because i blew a shock!!

Archived