car turns over but wont fire into life

danxs

right ive got a problem with my vti-s

it turns over once left for over 10 hours for example, it turns fast but no sign of life. took plugs out and they were wet with fuel. cleaned and dried them off, checked for spark and there was one present

dizzy cap and rotor arm seem ok, no funny marks or signs of wear.

still wouldnt go.

bumped it and it seems to run on a few cylinders then after a sec is fine. then aslong as i warm it up it will continue to start and start every few hours.

any idea anyone? with fuel and spark present what could it be?

It sounds like its over fuel when its cold and flooding the engine so it will not start off the key . thats all it can be if you can bump start it . Have you had it remaped or a change of ecu . it cold be the cold start playing up . Rich.

stock ecu, no remap to my knowledge

i just tried and it wont go, kept pumping the gas and it was trying with the starter on at about 200rpm.

few goes later it goes into life, then all back to normal aslong as its not stone cold

it never did it with all the snow and stuff before only since saturday

I had the same thing on my car after its was remapped and it was the cold start set up on the ecu . But if yours has not been remapped and only just started doing it , i would say its something like the cold start valve . As if you have fuel air and spark it should go , if it won't it can only be flooding it . Rich.

where is the cold start valve? i thought the ecu checked the IAT sensor and the water temp to determine how much fuel to dump in?

its worse on fuel lately so its defo using too much fuel, the plugs are black too.

im getting annoyed with it now

You maybe right on that one , i just had the same problem and got the cold start map sorted and it was like new but i have never come across this on a standard ecu before Adam is your next best man for this as im stumped , maybe a sensor is reading wrong but i would have throught you would have the engine management light on . Rich.

Not sure really without looking at it, but non-start problems on our cars tend to be problems with the dizzy components, (ignitor, coil, or sensors inside dizzy), or main relay problems. They can both play up, causing intermittant problems with starting and running. Sorry i cant help any more, its really difficult to diagnose problems over the net!! :oops::?

ok cheers for the input guys, dont think its the main relay but i can investigate it

ive got some water temp sensors coming off another c4 so il try those and see how it differs. il also take the IAT out and clean it up a little and stop the rocker cover leak which isnt helping with oil in the plug holes lol

if not then i guess il change the iat for a known working one and check the main relay

sometimes when its cold and i press the throttle it splutters and tries to cut out so its defo sensor related

Archived