MG ZS 120 suspension once and for all

EmZvr

Interesting little read. Lowering a is my next change so been all eyes and ears. Would the zs120 but idea for the mc1 paired with 30 or 40 mm spring? Or the zs180, but how much stiffer with the same lowering springs?

I have seen this on the forum in some posts. That's why I started this thread. This statement (bolded one) is NOT true.

ZS120 has lowered and stiffer suspension made by Eibach the same way as ZS180. It only has different front springs and shocks stiffness.

It's a pitty my friend didn't take before pictures. But stock suspension is nothing like ZS120. It had a huge arch gap. Rear springs were so weak that with 4 people and LPG (which he has in the boot) the car would nearly scrape. Now with the same condition it moves one finger down. Here's a random pic of a stock MA suspension. You can clearly see that ZS120 is lower.

gallery_1239_10_67080_zpsb41e9e29.jpg

I'm speaking from experience here. ZS180 front springs are too stiff for MB1/2/3/4/ and MA8/9.

So for those M's the proper suspension upgrade is ZS120 springs and shocks and ZS180 rear arb + MB6 front arb. Of course you can do like me - ZS180 complete suspension and ZS120 front springs. But this is stupid. It costs more money that way and shocks are always matched to springs so we better leave it that way.

I had a chance (at last) to drive my friend's car (he drove mine). Quick comparison of our setups (differences are bolded):

MB1

24mm front arb (stock)

16mm rear arb (stock)

ZS120 front and rear shocks and springs

195/50/15 tires

LPG in the boot

MB3

26mm front arb (MB6)

20mm rear arb (ZS180)

ZS120 front springs with ZS180 front shocks

ZS180 rear springs and shocks (SAME as ZS120)

195/50/15 tires

I must say comparing it to mine I don't like it that much. At 56mph with agressive left-right-left turning it has some woble. Mine's almost zero. Also steering feels more loose and not as direct as mine. But he hasn't changed his trail arm bushes and we have different arbs. I didn't expect it to be the same.

I have to say the more I drive other cars the more I love my suspension :D

m looking for some suspension upgrade to lower the car 40mm at max i have MB4 d16w4 SOHC 125 bhp stock engine. So the mgzs 120 suspension is the best for me? I dnt wanna spend on coilovers :(

Interesting little read. Lowering a is my next change so been all eyes and ears. Would the zs120 but idea for the mc1 paired with 30 or 40 mm spring? Or the zs180, but how much stiffer with the same lowering springs?

It really depends on the springs stiffness. "Overdamped" suspension is not a good thing. 

m looking for some suspension upgrade to lower the car 40mm at max i have MB4 d16w4 SOHC 125 bhp stock engine. So the mgzs 120 suspension is the best for me? I dnt wanna spend on coilovers :(

Yes I would say you'll be very happy with it. It doesn't matter which year is the MG ZS 120 there is no difference. But keep in mind the biggest improvement in handling comes from anit roll bars. M's major handling problem is body roll. And MB4 doesn't have rear arb so getting one should have a top priority.

It really depends on the springs stiffness. "Overdamped" suspension is not a good thing.

Yes I would say you'll be very happy with it. It doesn't matter which year is the MG ZS 120 there is no difference. But keep in mind the biggest improvement in handling comes from anit roll bars. M's major handling problem is body roll. And MB4 doesn't have rear arb so getting one should have a top priority.

Thanks alot broo im so happy with the information ur giving :D thnx alot man really appreciate it :D what anti roll bar i can use for mb4?

Bro with them zs 120 suspensions the ride hide would be same on both sides front and rear as well?

Yes ride height should be the same on front and rear. Look at the first photo. As for arbs your best bet is MG ZS 180 20mm rear arb and MB6 26mm front arb.

Thnx alot for all the info man :D

• 2 months later...