Scrapping my MA9, I want to build a 1.5 Vtec-E Aerodeck - what should I keep?

UKCivic

I've decided to scrap my MA9 VTEC-E after miserably failing its MOT on corroded brake lines – when I got the car back they were leaking as were the fuel line and return – I worked out that they'd been hit by the testers rust detection hammer. TBH they were very corroded anyway so probably better found out there than on the road. The clincher was emissions – slight puff of blue smoke when revved meant they couldn't test it. Either valve stem seals or piston rings most likely, I had noticed it using a bit more oil than usual but no loss of performance but it has passed 200K.

I had been expecting to do some work for the MOT, I knew there was some rust starting under the plastic sill covers and I expected to have to do the rear suspension bushes – I could easily do them, but as I need a car as a daily driver I can't be doing an engine rebuild and replacing all of the fluid lines. Add to that the cosmetic issues such as two rusty doors, rusty bonnet, rusty rear arches, rust around the windscreen aperture from a replacement years ago, the old girl was starting to look very tatty.

I'm in love with the VTEC-E engine offering reasonable performance, excellent economy (45/50mpg) and cheap road tax and my ideal vehicle would be a VTEC-E Aerodeck. I'd like to be able to get one of the many good VTI Aerodeck's that have been stripped for their engines and swap my mechanics into though I think with a different engine it may require an engineers report before going back on the road. I think my best option is to try and track down a 1.5 Aerodeck and see if I can 'economize' it.

What I'd like to ask is what do I need to keep from my MA9 to enable me to do such a conversion in the future – ECU, exhaust manifold, cylinder head or complete engine and gearbox?

I'll be stripping her down this weekend as I don't want to exhaust my storage favour. Any comments or ideas welcome.