Fitting Exhaust Back Box - Anything to be concerned about

Butcher

MOT is due soon, and I need a new back box. And being a cheap skate I'm thinking it can't be hard to fit, can it? 

On paper it's a doddle. Couple of bolts. Gasket. Loosen, remove, fit, tighten, jobs a good'n. Is that the way exhaust jobs go down? Or is it more like, try to loosen, fail, shout, swear, start kicking it, eventually loosen, snap the remaining good exhaust, then take it to the tyre services for a complete exhaust that you didn't need in the first place. 

Absolutely a load of swearing in there chap! There's always that one bolt! Plus your on your back which is never fun working!

My suggestion would be to get under there the day before and soak the bolts in WD40 or similar. It's more than likely a D clamp that is holding back box to B pipe if it's standard. Worse comes to the worst you'll snap the bolts and need to replace the D clamp. So buy one to be on the safe side.

You'll be fine though. I've done my whole system on my back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, National tyres wanted £120 for back box. No chance! So got my toolbox out and it actually came off pretty easy. Bolts snapped, but hey...made my life easier.

I'm now suspicious though, nothing works out that well. Gotta be some issues putting it back on!    

• Like 1