1999 Civic 1.4 engine idling to low

ashy

Recently picked up a 1999 Honda Civic 1.4 (S or IS I think) for my brother. Needs a couple of bits and bobs doing.

The idle doesnt seem quite right. Upon cold start up it will idle normally.

However when it warms up it tends to idle low at times. Particularly if you are driving and dip the clutch, or when stationary if you blip the throttle, the idle seems to dip right down low almost to a stall then settles. Once when I revved it very hard it stalled when the revs dropped.

I have removed the throttle body and given it a clean. Doesnt seem to have done much.

The air filter looks filthy, so I assume if the air filter looks old the fuel filter probably is just as old too. So both these filters will be replaced. There is also a slight blow to the exhaust. Would any of this cause the low idle issue?

Failing that you might want to adjust the idle screw, think it'll be on the Idle control valve near the throttle body.

I did see that and thought of adjusting it. However I remember back on the old Rover 214's that it was suggested never to adjust that as it was set from factory and it would upset the ecu as it will try to counter-act your adjustments?

I did see that and thought of adjusting it. However I remember back on the old Rover 214's that it was suggested never to adjust that as it was set from factory and it would upset the ecu as it will try to counter-act your adjustments?

You have to make the ECU to learn the new settings. The procedure is in the service manual and should fix your problem. Take a look here: http://civic5.com/forum/topic/9592-mc1-with-a-few-niggles/?p=238636  ;)

• Like 1