Manual vs Auto MPG/Miles to tank

amand

Hello All,

I'm still looking around for a good Civic to buy, but i wanted to know out of curiosity as to how much the difference is in mpg between manual and auto as I've seen a nice aerodeck in auto but also a good 1.5 manual. As I know Auto's tend to use a bit more fuel, but can't find a good thread or much on google to determine this. I understand that everyone has different types of drives such as all town to mixed or full motorway.

As a general rule of thumb...... torque convertor autos are 15/20% less efficient than their manual counterparts.

Ahh ok, yes I guess that does make sense. I used to have a 540i Auto then got a Manual and the difference in MPG was a lot. (14 MPG vs 21 MPG)

What would the 1.6 be like if anyone who owns or has owned a 1.6. What is the fuel consumption like from your observations?

Hi, I had an automatic in one of my civics

http://civic5.com/forum/topic/3726-d16-engine/#entry

I found it to be average on fuel, in fact it's slightly more economical than my current vti aerodeck. Probably due to much vtec!

You may find due to the extra weight of the deck over the hatch and the smaller engine ( 1.5 over 1.6 in mine) it may be worse on fuel, but to be honest these cars aren't the best cars in there class on fuel, but the auto box is probably one of the better ones of it era.

Hi, I had an automatic in one of my civics

http://civic5.com/forum/topic/3726-d16-engine/#entry

I found it to be average on fuel, in fact it's slightly more economical than my current vti aerodeck. Probably due to much vtec!

You may find due to the extra weight of the deck over the hatch and the smaller engine ( 1.5 over 1.6 in mine) it may be worse on fuel, but to be honest these cars aren't the best cars in there class on fuel, but the auto box is probably one of the better ones of it era.

Thanks philgor.

How big are the tanks on these cars?

ahh ok, lol, so I would expect to be filling up £50 - £55. but i do a lot of motorway driving and a roads. Would 35-40mpg be a realistic figure for a 1.6 auto?