RTA bushes - best way to drop trailing arm

EdGasket

What is the best way to access the big RTA bushes without taking the arm completely off? I have seen a YouTube video where they drop the back end by undoing a few bolts and making sure the brake hose is not stretched too far but have also read a suggestion of simply taking off the 'bolt at the front' and the handbrake cable bolt which sounds easier. Which bolt at the front would that be; the inner or outer one (I think the inner is the toe adjustment so maybe not that one but perhaps the outer is not accessible?) and has anyone done the job by just removing the 'front' bolt and handbrake bolts only? (obviously in both cases the two bushing bolts have to come out).

• 2 weeks later...

They have to be removed .it's more work trying to remove and refit the bushing with the arm still on the car .if you remove the arm you'll have the old bushing out and new in in 5 minutes. 

Well I have some bushing tools so I want to do it on the car. Also if that fails, I can use a sawzill to cut through the old bush casing to make pressing or banging it out easier.

What ever you do, especially if your do it your self, is to buy replacement bolts before you start the job, the last thing you want is to snapped a bolt and have to wait 2days for a replacement. 

Presumably if I replace with poly-bushes there is even less reason to remove the complete trailing arm? Just cut all the rubber out and sand/grind what remains and then press the new poly-bushes in; is that correct? Also with poly-bushes does the old bush centre (the part that bolts to the chasis with two bolts) just get hammered into the centre of the poly-bush once the poly bush is sitting inside the old sleeve in the lowered trailing arm?

Ah just found this guide; very useful:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Installation_Instructions/Energy_Suspension/17339.pdf