Brake carriers front.

Spanky

Question

Hi. Just replacing my front discs and pads. Old discs were gone beyond belief. They were binding a little. 

Anyway. Cleaned everything up and fitted the new bits. I had to really force the pads into the carriers on both sides. They close up when the pedal is depressed but the are not moving freely back. 

The pads and discs are a mintex box set.

I doubt it's the mintex stuff because the other discs look like the have had the pressure on all the time. I had to hammer the old pads out as well.

Might have to try and source another set of carriers and sliders. What will fit?

Cheers. Nathan 

The brake set didn't have the little metal shims the pads slide along. I reused the ones that were on.

2 answers to this question

Best bet would be to refurb the calipers mate. You can dismantle them, remove the piston and clean it up and refit it with new seals. Then either clean up the sliding pins and regrease them and fit new rubber boots if needed. This will free them up a bit. The pads will always be against the discs normally, although shouldn't be binding.

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Best bet would be to refurb the calipers mate. You can dismantle them, remove the piston and clean it up and refit it with new seals. Then either clean up the sliding pins and regrease them and fit new rubber boots if needed. This will free them up a bit. The pads will always be against the discs normally, although shouldn't be binding.

Cool. I've got some new pad retaining clips on the way so I'll strip it all down and give the carriers a good scrub. The calipers are fine it's just that the pads are so tight in the pads carriers. Don't seem to move freely.

• Like 1