Been working away in the garage again! We had bought really rough tombstone seats a while back. They were filthy, had rips in the vinyl and looked awful, but we were going to get them retrimmed so didn't matter. Problem is, the seat bases need swapped over as the UK spec mx5 has the seat belts bolted to the seat base (so to9mbstone seats have nowhere for the seat belt to bolt on to). We decided to strip the seats down and also take the covers off to see if they would maybe clean up a bit in the washing machine. If we could get the bases swapped over, we could use the seats until we were ready for them going to the trimmers to be covered in leather.
So, started removing seats..
Then stripped the covers off the seats. Hats off to Gayle, who removed all the little metal clips holding covers on (bloody hundreds of the pesky buggers!) while I held the seat firm/held cover out of the way.
The seat base covers were horrible, all stained (including oil stains) and smelt of cat pee! They has been stored in a barn so anyones guess what the actual smell was! Back rest hanging up in conservatory to dry after a long time in the washing machine!! Came out really nice!
Now the refitting of the covers could begin. Rather than use the clips (which were mostly corroded and busted anyways) we chose to use cable ties. Cable ties all put in place first before offering up cover.
And then fitting the cover. Horrible job, and fingers are still sore!
Before fitting the tombstone base cusion to the uk spec metal seat base, I rust treated them then primered followed by spraying them in satin black. Know you won't see this once fitted, but I like wee details like this done properly.
Seat finally built. Note the split that I also repaired by using vinyl repair section cut from the old seats.
Fitted to car........splits now repaired on both seats.
This spending money has to stop! Another box arrived addressed to Mindy.......what has the wee minx been buying now??
Something very nice, that's what!!
I've always loved the Nardi wooden steering wheels, but being 360mm they were too big if you were tall like me. Problem being that in order to drive the mx5, my left leg had to be at a very uncomfortable angle to work the clutch, as it couldn't fit under the steering wheel. So the wheel I bought is only 330mm. Took me ages to hunt down a wheel that has the same styling as the Nardi (spokes etc all look similar) but smaller. This one came all the way from Germany and wasn't cheap! Still, love the way it looks. Also got a Nardi horn push badge coming which will finish it off nicely.
Had her out for a wee test drive, and felt weird at first with the wheel being smaller (and wood) but also because my leg wasnt trapped against the wheel anymore. There is another mod to remove a wee spacer from the column to gain another wee bit room so will be doing that too. New seats feel so much better! More supportive due to the side bolsters, but seem to have more padding too. Plus as Gayle pointed out, no more cold draft on your neck due to the space between the old seat and the headrest! Next job will be to get new speakers for the seats as the originals have disintegrated, then get it all wired up. Well happy, and again, find it theraputic to be working on Mindy again, albeit at a much slower pace.
Oh, old seats and bases etc, which will be on their way to the tip tomorrow! Manky!