gearbox!

integraz

You could get someone to rebuild the gearbox with the ratios you want but that would cost loads more than a s80 box i would just save the money and get one . unless you do want i did get 350 bhp + and the ratios are not a problem. :D

S80 gearbox is one of the best thing you can do! Top priority over exhausts,induction. Car feels completely different. get a s80 gearbox for about 450-650 depending on mileage and condition. then id recommend fitting a new clutch and lightweight flywheel. so you can be looking around the £1k mark. but its all worth it! :twisted:

I'm not too clued up on gearboxes myself, but afaik, you would need to change more than the final drive to notice big differences in how the car performs. The main reason alot of mb owners go for the S80 is the simple fact it has a limited slip diff, and of course the gear ratios are a lot better than the mbs standard box. Maybe someone can confirm what the differences will be changing the final drive, but i reckon it'll only change top end (make it higher or lower?)

Hope this helps a bit :D

A 1.8 vti mb6 has a lsd as standard , only aerodeck dont have it.

The s80 box has lsd and shorter ratio's they say it knocks 1 second off the 0 to 60 on a mb6 over a standard box.

as daves says changing the final drive will make the gears shorter or longer (meaning mph in each gear higher or lower) it will not change the ratio of each gear so you will still have that rubbish ratio between first and second that everyone hates. Rich.

Archived