Central Locking Malfunction

blue_moon

Hello!

I have a 1998 Civic 1.4 iS (MB2 chassis), left-hand drive (I'm from Portugal). There have been a couple of months since I have an issue with the central locking: at the beginning it stopped working and then started working again at random times; now it works to lock the doors, but not to unlock them. My car does not have remote locking, so this happens when locking/unlocking with the key or from the inside of the car.

I suspect that there might be an issue with the central locking module or the wiring, or the sensor in the

driver's door. I thought starting with the central locking module and diagnose from there would be a good strategy. I took out the fascia below the steering wheel, looked around, but I was not able to find the module. Looking on the Internet and in the Haynes manual, I think it should be above and to the right of the fuses, but I found nothing there.

Can anyone describe me how this module looks and where should I find it?

Oh, and if any of the administrators is reading this post, I tried to download the service manual, but it kept rejecting my credentials.

Thanks!

Sebastian

Hi bud, go to the 'NEW MEMBERS' section at the top of the main forum page for the username and password required to access the service manual!! ;)

As for the central locking problem, I suspect the switch on the end of the key barrel in the drivers door is at fault, its the most common thing to go wrong on cars without remote locking!! I would start there mate!! 8-)

I was able to download the service manual and found all the info I needed there, now I only need to wait for a free afternoon to check what's going on. I suspect bad solder joints in the central locking module since the fault behaved differently along the time and there are some high currents passing through those relays, but I'll check also the switch. I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

Thanks a million!

Archived