Temp gauge barely rises (Problem solved)

Dexter

Hi,

I've had this problem for a long time. The needle on my temp gauge rises very slowly, and stays very low once it gets up. We're talking about barely above the bottom mark, I think the needle should rise 1/3 ways up in normal conditions am i right? On hot days in downtown stop-go-stop-go traffic it gets a bit higher, maybe up to 1/4, but as soon as i drive more steadily it drops back. I get warm air inside the car pretty quick, even on cold winter days, and vtec works fine, so i got the feeling that the engine warms up ok. I had the thermostat and coolants changed over a year ago but the temp gauge continued doing the same thing so i thought it's not a engine temp problem, just the gauge then and ignored the problem but i've decided to fix it now.

Any ideas what might be wrong? A sensor or something? It does feel kind of bad hitting vtec when the temp needle is barely above nothing... :?

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open mate!

If you're sitting in traffic and it rises to normal temp then drops again, can't be the sensor, as it's detecting the change in temp!

I'd change the stat again! Maybe it was a duff one when they shanged it!

VTEC will be bad as the engine temp is not hot enough, so the oil temp & pressure will be lower than optimal!

• 3 weeks later...

Thermo replaced, but didn't do anything :( . They guys at the shop have no idea what could be wrong and i didn't want to cough up a big wad of euros just to get every possible cause checked. Could it be that i have a faulty temp gauge, since i'm getting warm air inside soon after starting the engine? Any ideas?

hmm, get a multimeter on the terminals behind the clock, check if the signal is being received.

If it's getting a signal, it's probably the clocks / temp guage, if not, I'd take the temp send out and give it a clean (i think it sits very near the thermo housing) Then replace that if it didn't work.

• 2 months later...

Okay i'm back at it. So, there's an electrical connector sticking out from the thermostat housing cover. Is this the wire i should disconnect? And after that, should i just turn on the electricity or start the engine to see if the gauge goes straight to the top? :?:

Archived