panel filter

Guest kev21

A panel filter won't give a significant HP increase, if any it will usually be 1-2 BHP. The biggest increase is the speed sensation due to the increased sound.

I've just ordered a K&N panel filter for mine, hopefully it will arrive soon. K&N is good stuff and one of the bigger brands. They can be found on Ebay but I'm not too sure how many fakes can be found on there...wouldn't want a fake filter with all the potential for disaster. I would say it's best to stick with one of the official dealers.

In my opinion they are deffinately better than short RAM. Short Ram will suck up warm air (that's why they're often called WAI, Warm Air Intake) which has less oxigen per square inch due to expanded air which equals less power. CAI or Airbox will often have the best power increase but a Cold Air Intake is not ideal in wet countries and can also lead to less throttle response.

An airbox is the best of both worlds...It's basically a short RAM intake which is extended to the front bottom end of the car via a tube. This means that you get throttle response of a WAI and cold air like a CAI.

Airboxes will be hard to find for an MB though and are expensive for the amount of BHP you get, I think the only possibility would be to mod a Short Ram.

I don't think that any other panel filter will have any more BHP gain than K&N in the stock air intake.

Archived