205 or 195 tyres

wezza9

i am getting some track tyres and i can get 195/50/15 or 205/50/15 in the tyre choices i have except for the price which would you go for and why

tyres are toyo R1R or hankook ventus RS2 Z212 i do not want 888 bit too agressive and both these have good reviews from friends and other forums its the size i am not sure of ?

hi wezza9, depends on which track you are going and how your car suspension is set up (toe/camber/weight etc.). if we are talking about small bhp car, generally 205 is a better choice with a bit of extra grip. however because your power is put down to the tyre surface against the ground, it accelerates a bit slower and not nimble as thinner tyre (tho i bet u won't notice the difference).

personally i will choose advan ad08, but if only between 2 you mentioned, i will go for toyo r1r.

• 4 months later...

im currently in the process of getng tyres for my mb6 toyo t1r but dont knw what size to get i have standered vti alloys atm im on195/55/15 and im thinkng will 205/55/15 give better handling due to being a wider tyre thanks

195.55.15 is perfect for the mb6 in my opinion.

195.50.15 makes ride abit sharper and more harsh.

205.50.15 is what I'm running atm, not liking them, too much side wall and ride is abit twitchy.

Had all of above on dc2 alloys and will be going back to 195.55.15.

Dc2 type r's don't come standard with them for nothing :)

but its the Dc2 org tyres that made the difference i was told that dridgestone designed them for the Dc2 very very stiff side wall was told harder than 50 profiles to fit there that stiff

and the org tyre for dc2 is not that common now i think ( REO10 )

grap some 17" alloys and ex clio cup slicks (20/61/17 - like a 205/45/17), probably work out cheaper than less grippy semi slick road legals - and perform 10x better.

Archived