Exhaust Center Silencer Mod

harVTEC

Hello everyone,

Currently I have some kind of aftermarket exhaust on my MB3, it sounds nice, not too loud but a nice deep tone :twisted:

However, for my insurance the car is going to have to be 'standard'. What I wanted to do (my mate has it on his MG ZR) is fit a standard back box current pipe, but have the central silencer done away with, and a straight through tube fitted instead. It will sound a bit louder than a standard system but will look no different.

Anyway, has anybody on here had this done, and what are you opinions?

Thanks a lot.

harVTEC

I paid no extra on insurance for my stainless mongoose exhaust,

i said it doesnt increase performance (cat back, had a decat section but never fitted it.) and it was similiar to the original but cheaper then buying an oem from honda who wanted almost £500.

I paid no extra on insurance for my stainless mongoose exhaust,

i said it doesnt increase performance (cat back, had a decat section but never fitted it.) and it was similiar to the original but cheaper then buying an oem from honda who wanted almost £500.

Hi,

I tried that one, after talking about getting a custom exhaust, spoke to several insurance companies and it was the same thing everytime, 'not interested, if it didn't come on the car it's a modification' so gave up to be honest. Mind you this is my first car and I'm not even 17 yet, so I suppose when I phone up asking about changing stuff they probably would rather me just go away haha!

Cheers anyway though mate.

harVTEC

Just tell them it was a rare optional extra for the car :)

My Beemer had optional BMW Performance Quad exit Titanium full system :D

But, at £2000 I thought better of it :D

It is tempting, but I just know my bad luck will bite me. So I think having a pea shooter exhaust might look crap but it will keep me covered haha. £2000 christ!

I know the pre faclift Accord Type Rs had an exhaust option of Remus backboxes, but I suppose that would never have had to be declared as it came on the car.

I hate insurance companies.

Cheers.

harVTEC

If you cut the middle box out of your exhaust, its hardly going to be 'standard'. I would say it would still be classed as a custom.

Either do it standard properly or keep the aftermarket one on and pay the extra premuim if there is any....

If you cut the middle box out of your exhaust, its hardly going to be 'standard'. I would say it would still be classed as a custom.

Either do it standard properly or keep the aftermarket one on and pay the extra premuim if there is any....

Hi,

Well I meant to keep it appearing standard, or have a cat back tube, all the way to the backbox without any kind of silencing in it. I was thinking it would appear normal then.

Thank you anyway.

harVTEC

Archived