unbelievable - loose brake pad

pjw

Ive been chasing a rattle and when i was looking before, stupidly, i had the handbrake on.

So today i took the wheel off to be greeted with the outermost pad being totally loose. Im not on about the shims being missing (movement front to back of car wasnt there), im on about up/down movement as you look at the caliper. Theres about 2mm gap between the pad and the carrier, leading to it loudly rattling up and down with bumps.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Seems odd, not sure why the previous owner didnt bother replacing it as soon as he realised it didnt fit!

Anyway, ill have to buy some pads. Do Rover 400/45/ZS ones fit? Anyone got one pad kicking about just to save me embarassment on every bump?

yes i had this problem when using mintex pads. most annoying rattle and clicking when braking. drove me mad!

changed to EBC pads much better fit and problem solved.

would recommend EBC ultimax they are a great pad and even stop great when hammering them at high speed.

£25 + postage i paid.

Mintex are also pretty damn good mate.

I'm trying to get a deal going with a guy who sells them now, but he's pretty cheap anyways!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Civic-1-8-V ... 2a1178b171

Give them a call, number in the ad above. I personally can't recomend them enough!

They supplied my BMW and EP3 brakes, and they are both VERY cheap, and VERY fast delivery, not to mention brilliant communication (and I'm nothing to do with them :) )

They don't list pads on there own, but if yoy drop them a mail, speak to them, they'll more than likely do you a deal on just pads!

i agree the mintex are generally a good pad. i just found that they didnt seem to fit the carriers properly on the MB6. both sides were loose and made a right racket.

the EBC on the other hand fit great.

i guess your right. i would imagine its worth changing the carriers/shims or whatever once in a while too. they must wear over the years and probably dont help with things like this.

I was thinking that the carrier could be bent, but theres no way with it being cast. Ill wait for the pads and put some pictures up of the difference if any. If theyre the same ill have to look at a replacement carrier.

i mailed the dudes in the address above john posted asking for an upgrade to oem pads, this is what the mailed back

mintbitz

Hi,

Thank you for your email. The pads supplied in the listing shown are mintex redbox. These can be upgraded to ferodo premier pads for an additional £24.06.

If you would like the just the rear pads on their own, prices are as follows:

mintex redbox £11.98

ferodo premier £36.04

Postage for just the pads will be £7. If you are happy to proceed we can send you an invoice if you send us your paypal email address, or you can contact us on the freephone number below.

Kind regards,

Kathy.

Freephone 0800 411 8007 for sales and enquiries

Local call rates apply

anyone any experience with these brand pads

and is it me or is that expenceve for pads :?

Archived