MA9 to MB6 Steering Wheel Issues

Guest civic_sr

My most recent mod was to change my horrid worn steering wheel to a VTi one that I managed to source. The problem being that the SRS system seems slightly different on my car. The wiring and the mechanism inside the two steering wheels differ and so do the wiring connectors :x

I have included pictures to illustrate the differences

Original wheel inside:

DSC00661.jpg

VTi wheel inside:

DSC00660.jpg

Original wheel connector:

DSC00659.jpg

VTi wheel connector:

DSC00658.jpg

Airbag Comparisons (Original on left)

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

Original airbag connector

DSC00664.jpg

VTi airbag connector

DSC00665.jpg

Im hoping someone can help me with this problem :?:

Thats realy strange mate, I was sure the MA/MB/MC used the same steering wheel/airbags. Is it not possible to use your original airbag/srs spool on the new wheel? That way everything should plug and play. Never come across this problem before.

Thanks for your input Dave, that thought came across my mind but if you look at the first two pictures, look to the right of the two wheels. The shape is actually different :?

did you try Original airbag on MB6 wheel?

That would work if I could get around the problem on the wheel shape differences. Look closely to the right of the wheel in the first pictures. The original wheel has a cutout for this bulge like cover where as the VTi one doesnt.

I think you may have to use the clock spring from an mb6 then, if it will plug into your loom. If not, you can still use the mb6 one, but will have to take the SRS plugs/loom from the mb6 and fit it to yours. You may still have to modify it tho :roll:

Ive been studying those pics mate, and going by the pics, i reckon everything thats bloted/screwed to your original wheel should be able to come off, and be fitted to the vti wheel. if you can see how far you can strip the vti wheel down, and try and swap the entire gubins over. you esentially want the wheel striped down to just the wheel

Archived