Subframe removal when removing/fitting steering rack

Didjeridave

The honda manual says the rack can be removed without any mention of the subframe being dropped/removed... an hour or so's faffing says that's complete nonsense! Anyone managed without doing this? Otherwise, anything I need to watch for when removing the subframe?

Cheers!

Sorted now; managed to drop the subframe about a foot which gave easy clearance to take the rack out. For anyone else's future reference, watch out for the power steering fluid pipe on the left hand side of the subframe, unless you remove that, there's only a foot for the frame to drop until it's taught. Other than that there's just the rear engine mount bolt to remove first, then the four subframe bolts.

Yes, certainly would have been welcome reading over last week. Note to all: DON'T try to remove the rack without taking the subframe off; the manual talks crud. With the subframe dropped (which is actually pretty easily done & not that heavy - I lifted it off & back on again by hand), the rack is pretty straightforward to swap. Hindsight is a fantastic thing; especially if it's someone else's :)

says the R rack is quicker then :? thought they were the same makes scence though being an R :?:

alright if you can afford Dave, int like a normal compliance bush though ie no wear as such compresion only. :)

Hmm, just looked up the price of the energy mount inserts; possibly would have been worth just chucking them on anyway! Not really comparable with the $280 for the hardrace mounts. Ah well; I'll keep that for a future job :)

Archived