irratic auto gear change

ramy

hi all i own a aerodeck d16w4 auto, some times it will kick down realy well and feels surprisingly quick :D for a small engine and other times you can put your foot to the floor n it doesnt want to kick down??? :cry:

could this just be a kick down cable problem and if so how do i check and adjust it , checked gear box oil n its fine

many thanks in advance ;)

ramy

• 3 weeks later...
hi all i own a aerodeck d16w4 auto, some times it will kick down realy well and feels surprisingly quick :D for a small engine and other times you can put your foot to the floor n it doesnt want to kick down??? :cry:

could this just be a kick down cable problem and if so how do i check and adjust it , checked gear box oil n its fine

many thanks in advance ;)

ramy

On my Accord 2.2i VTEC Auto, the gearbox was "intelligent". i.e. if you used kickdown suddenly (really lift off and then quickly stab with your foot) it would kickdown 2 gears. If you kickdown slowly (i.e. don't lift off but just jam your foot to floor) it would only kickdown 1 gear. Not sure if this applies to yours, but worth testing for the fun of it, you never know...

Ive noticed that with almost every auto ive ever driven mate. there can be times when you really need the kickdown, like you pull out to over take...put the foot down and it just does nothing! Your driving along, on the wrong side of the road, fist in your mouth as the lorry coming toward you gets closer, thinking "gulp, how the hell do i get outta this!" lol :o Like Adam says could be the oil, but i think most autos have a mind of their own. If you really want it to go, use the stick like i do! that way, you know its gonna change down! ;)

If you trace the throttle cable you will also see another cable for the box! My 1.5 auto used to do that. I adjusted the cable slightly works fine. If your really wanting it to kick down stab the throttle let off and stab down again and it will drop right down the box! Obviously do this quick if your overtaking. like dave says its a bit of an awkward situation barely accelerating with 44 tonnes of metal heading your way! :lol:

If you trace the throttle cable you will also see another cable for the box! My 1.5 auto used to do that. I adjusted the cable slightly works fine. If your really wanting it to kick down stab the throttle let off and stab down again and it will drop right down the box! Obviously do this quick if your overtaking. like dave says its a bit of an awkward situation barely accelerating with 44 tonnes of metal heading your way! :lol:

Kickdown can be annoyingly unpredictable/unresponsive if you don't kickdown properly. You have to let go of the throttle completely before stabbing at it with your foot, that way the box will know you definitely want to drop a cog or two and that your foot hasn't accidentally slipped.

Archived