Radio reception problems

FlorayG

I've got a nice Panasonic CD player/radio in my MC2. Great for listening to CD's but completely pants for FM radio reception - stations sound like they're transmitting from the moon sometimes the crackle and hiss is so bad. Now, radio reception isn't brilliant round where I live anyway but -and I hate to say ANYTHING is better on a Skoda :cry: - mostly radio reception was fairly OK on my last car so the fault must be with the Panasonic radio or somewhere in the ariel? Any suggestions what I can do to improve reception?

I've got a nice Panasonic CD player/radio in my MC2. Great for listening to CD's but completely pants for FM radio reception - stations sound like they're transmitting from the moon sometimes the crackle and hiss is so bad. Now, radio reception isn't brilliant round where I live anyway but -and I hate to say ANYTHING is better on a Skoda :cry: - mostly radio reception was fairly OK on my last car so the fault must be with the Panasonic radio or somewhere in the ariel? Any suggestions what I can do to improve reception?

do you think that makes any difference? an ariel is an ariel, how long it is doesn't matter surely? the ariel on my portable radio broke years ago and is now only 2 inches long but it hasn't affected the reception. if it's down to the length of the ariel then i think i'm going to need one of those 3ft CB ones...

did you find the reception better before you changed the ariel?

PS Simpo did you get another new car yet?

do you think that makes any difference? an ariel is an ariel, how long it is doesn't matter surely? the ariel on my portable radio broke years ago and is now only 2 inches long but it hasn't affected the reception. if it's down to the length of the ariel then i think i'm going to need one of those 3ft CB ones...

did you find the reception better before you changed the ariel?

PS Simpo did you get another new car yet?

do you have the original headunit? If so swap them back and check the reception out. It could be the headunit has a problem with its tuner.

Also you may have a break or fault with the cable going from headunit to aerial. Test it by hooking the cd player up to the car but fit an aerial into it which isnt the one on the car. This will rule out the cable

do you have the original headunit? If so swap them back and check the reception out. It could be the headunit has a problem with its tuner.

Also you may have a break or fault with the cable going from headunit to aerial. Test it by hooking the cd player up to the car but fit an aerial into it which isnt the one on the car. This will rule out the cable

Dur... :?: what's a headunit? Do you mean the original radio? no, I don't have it. But I will try rigging an ariel by a seperate cable this weekend. Trouble is, reception is fine near my house, so I have to drive to a layby on the Quantocks to do it...and i think it's going to snow so it might not happen this weekend. Am I right, the actual length of the ariel makes no difference?

Dur... :?: what's a headunit? Do you mean the original radio? no, I don't have it. But I will try rigging an ariel by a seperate cable this weekend. Trouble is, reception is fine near my house, so I have to drive to a layby on the Quantocks to do it...and i think it's going to snow so it might not happen this weekend. Am I right, the actual length of the ariel makes no difference?