need help tonight please avo coilovers

Guest kev21

got my avo coilovers today fitted as on ramp car off wheels there bit play in spring is it safe has anyone experience this thanks kev

I can only speak out of my experience with my KW v.3 but I think it's not safe to drive if there is a bit of play in the springs. The spring should still have tension when the car is off the ground. This is also why spring retainers are needed when taking the spring off the shock (even when not mounted to the car), to prevent the spring from shooting in your eye or other places you don't want it.

At what height is the car currently sitting when on the ground? If it's way too high you might just have to fix that with the height adjustment and the spring tension should increase.

Is it a coilover kit that is specifically made for the MB? I assume that this could also be a potential cause of the problem although I am not familiar with fitting non-specifically made coilovers to the MB and the potential problems of that.

deff doesnt sound right kev. Never heard of any suspension where the spring has not tension when car is jacked up. I'd get it checked out asap mate, just to be on the safe side. Anyone here shed any light on the coilovers?

right here goes,

when i done my car i had wound down the coilovers so they were on the lowest settings. this caused no tension in the spring as the car was jacked up in the air. i am sure they are certified 'safe' to the point were they still have tension in the spring when jacked up. BUT as some kits appove to certain heights and then state they can go lower usually means that they hav'nt been approved to go all the way down. (if this makes sense) but now mine are wound up about 20mm and the springs have tension when jacked up and its all fine.

ALSO as you are saying there is'nt tension when the car is jacked, this does not mean it wont have tension when its is resting on the wheels under its own weight. (this was the case in mine. as the car sat on tension when its was wound all the way down and with the weight of the car resting on it.

so this could be the same case for you, what coilovers are they? and are they wound all the way down?

oo and when mine were all the way down it was safe to drive but a nightmare as it was too low( but thats nothing to do with safety . . . well . . .kind of ;) )

hope this helps, but if i am ranteing of crap just let me know :D

My ex had an mg zr with avo lowering springs and they were loose when the car was jacked up.

it drove fine but im sure its an mot fail.

As long as they seat correctly when you lower it then i cannot see a problem. Unless you expect to be getting some air!!

Archived