Check Engine Light - VSS Speed Sensor?

Paul67

Can anyone advise please?

The car has been running great until earlier. I started it up drove off and within minutes I noticed the Check Engine Light was on. I pulled over and turned the engine off, waited a minutes or so and went to turn it back on to see if the light was still on, only it wouldn't start.

I rolled it forward with the ignition on, dropped into 2nd gear and it bump started easy. I drove home ok and, thankfully, there was no Check Engine Light on this time!

Although, when I pulled up outside my house and turned the ignition off it wouldn't re-start, just a click when I tuned the key. This time I popped the bonnet and give the started a tap and it started up ok again without the Check Engine Light coming on.

My question is, would the Check Engine Light come on if the starter motor was faulty (sticking) or does it sound like I have other problems which caused it to come on when it did?

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions, thanks!

Thanks! I'll try the flash code test tomorrow when the weather is a bit better, although I may have a problem working out which wires to jump because a mate of mine accidently crush both blue connectors by shutting the car door on them a few months ago, so they are taped up and now I'd have to work out which wire is which just to do the flash code test... :roll:

i think it may be your distributor buddy,

very common fault on hondas!

dizzy supplies the spark which would be why it struggles to start,

VSS is on top of the gearbox and if its fault, your speedo would be stuck on zero. and no vtec.

im pretty certain the dizzy is at fault, may get away with just a dizzy cap replacement,

i think it may be your distributor buddy,

very common fault on hondas!

dizzy supplies the spark which would be why it struggles to start,

VSS is on top of the gearbox and if its fault, your speedo would be stuck on zero. and no vtec.

im pretty certain the dizzy is at fault, may get away with just a dizzy cap replacement,

also there is a code similiar to the vss, i think its a crank sensor or sumat! u could have read it wrong