squeeky

spudley1988

Hey folks wandered if anybody could help me on this. I've developed a squeek/creek everytime i turn my steering wheel and on worse case when I'm driving along. Few people have said lubricate bottom ball joint but was just hoping someone could confirm this or point me in another direction please.

Thanks

It could also be your suspension top mount (or a number of other things steering/suspension related) easiest way to check is get a stethascope and listen to the car whilst someone turns the steering replicating the noise :)

Sounds like ball joint to me, i had the same for a long time and i took it to a few garages some said they didnt know others said steering rack. I then took it back and said try this ball joint, once it had been replaced it was fine. I did put a video of mine up on here as well so it may be worth watching to see if its the same as yours?

Cars never really parked up for any major lengths of time lol. Few people have said ball joint,are you able to post the link to your video to compare squeaks lol :D

When you say worst case how long would this take to happen? and what would consequences be :?:

Here is the link viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3640&p=86942&hilit=ball+joint#p86942

It's a thread that a few of us who had the same problem. Worth a watch then a read of it all to confirm.

Mine was broke for 6 months or a year at least. I worried about it at first when people said they crack and can cause a lot of damage, then I forgot about it until it was fixed lol.

I had a similar problem on my MA9; an embarrassing creaking all the time from the nearside whenever I turned the steering, hit a bump or even pushed down on that corner of the car by hand. It recently passed the MOT with it creaking and the inspectors opinion was it was just a bush that needed lubrication.

Last week I found out what it was in dramatic fashion when the lower balljoint snapped, collapsing the suspension and wrenching the driveshaft from the gearbox also wrecking the inner CV in the process. The wheel also hit the wing, badly denting that as well. Fortunately this all happened in a supermarket car park at parking speed and not on a town centre one way system or on the motorway where I had been five minutes earlier. When turning at low speed the load on the joint must be much greater than when at speed which may explain why it happened when it did.

I had to get it recovered to a garage near my work to get it repaired quickly as its my daily driver. The final bill - balljoint £15, driveshaft £135!! (rip off, I could have got a new one for half that) + labour/VAT = £336! At least the creaking has now gone.

The annoying thing is I had done a web search prior to the event for 'civic creaking suspension' and not found anything conclusive. Afterwards when I did a search for 'civic broken ball joint' I quickly found this http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html which exactly described my problem. It also happens on Rover 400/45 which have the same suspension.

I suspect the ball joint problem won't have been helped by the large number of speed ramps in my area.

So I recommend that you get these inexpensive parts (£15-£20 a side) changed before it becomes a much bigger problem. There's a clip on youtube showing an easy way a breaking the joint off if you're doing it yourself.

PS anyone have a pair or seen any early type MA8/MA9/MB1 front wings - preferably silver - I need them!

1"£££$££"!

th_18092010003.jpg

yea thats defo the noise and sounds quite a common problem. Its very embarassing parking on a busy street and car creaks away lol. Thanks for helping pinpoint issue though has been a massive help.