ABS Sensors - Easy Fix?

Shaddow

Hi,

I have had my ABS light on for a while now and just found the thread showing how to read the fault codes.

Car is a '98 MB6 VTi-S

After going out and doing this, I got codes 13 and 17.

According to the post, it means FL and RL sensors are open/short to power.

I am hoping as it is both front and back on the same side of the car, it might be something not related to the sensors themselves.

Has anyone had this same problem before?

If it does generally mean the sensors need replacing, where would be the best place to obtain new ones? I have managed to find a front one from Euro Car Parts, no no-where seems to stock rear ones. However, I really hope I dont need to replace them as the front was £150+vat. :shock:

I have checked the little fuse box in the engine bay that says ABS on it, but all seems find in there. I also checked continuity on the 2 front sensors and both seems to fall in the same range (740-767) with car both off and running.

Hope I can get it fixed soon as its not fun not having ABS when the roads are wet.

Thanks for any advice.

• 2 months later...

When you checked the circuit did you spin the wheel slowly to see it working as it passes the hub marks. There should be a fluctuation in signal, if there isn't then it's dead.I think they are magnetized and do lose polarity eventually. They are easy enough to replace but the bolts and fittings do get very rusty, I had to get a new rear for mine last year and cost me well over £200 fitted. But then how much is a life worth? I paid and was thankful as I needed it on the way home due to some twonk on a bike on his phone. It is odd that 2 have gone together though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Still looking for abs wheel sensors. Does anyone know if the Rover 400 rear abs sensors will fir the mb6? Alternatively, who the manufacturer is for the civic sensors?

Thanks