In need ofadvice!

bluemoon

Hey all!

I am in need of advice In about 10 days i will replacing my steering rack & was wondering as the engine will be out of car to do this. I was thinking about changing all my engine mounts at same time. As i have been told by a honda mech one is broken & needs replacing top right side by small fuse box.

Firstly: How much will a set of 4 cost me? As i havent got a clue & on a budget.

Secondly: Where do i get them from & do i buy standard or Performance Polyurethane?

Thirdly: What is the difference with regards to pros n cons?

Forth: Do i leave suspension standard or change it? I only commute to work & drive places with my family @weekends ( no track stuff)

I ask these question as the rack will be out. So might as well change other parts if they are only going to need doing in the next year or so.

Hi mate. Not sure on how much it will cost you for the mounts, but i think upgraded mounts are available from Hassport. These are well known for quality. But you say that car is not going to be used on track, only day to day driving, so tbh, i wouldnt bother too much upgrading them, standard oem stuff will do fine.

Suspension wise, again, if the cars not going to be on the track, or driven really hard, then you can always go for the lowering/uprated spring route. I personally wouldnt go for the MG stuff, as it's probably no better than what you already have, bearing in mind it will be second hand. Good quality a/m springs/shocks would be a great improvement, as it would improve handling, but the car would still be useable for everyday, without too much loss of comfort.

Price wise, how longs a peice of string? It's hard to put a rough figure on it, as prices on parts vary from place to place, and garage prices vary too. Best bet is to try our traders here for springs or a spring/shock combo, they'll be able to help regards cost etc, or shop around.

For fitting, call round some garages that are local to you for quotes on the work you want done.

if you're on a really tight budget, it might pay to try and do the work yourself. If you dont feel confident enough about doing the work, or don't have the tools, try and hook up with some of our members near to your area. They might be able to help with fitting etc ;)

Hope this helps

For your engine mounts you have got three options, the hassport kit, the hardrace kit or the energy inserts. iv recently installed energy inserts into mine, iv just done the fornt lower torque mounts and i can already notice quiet a differance, going to do the rear engine mount soon aswell. the bad thing about the uprated engine mounts is the vibration, iv just done the lower torque mounts are parts of the dash are already vibrating, due to the mounts being stiffer

a set of hardrace engine mounts will cost you £280, you will need to get into contact with a company called Dixon Motorsport (DMS). they do alot of stuff on the ITR forum. if you just want to get inserts then they cost £30 from funkypower

Archived