Almost Lost my Steering!! :shock:

comedywizard

Hi there, just thought I'd see if anyone has experienced any issues like this before?

A few days back I had a wobble from the steering, thought it was ball joint or track rod but had to get under the car first to identify before ordering any parts. Drove it to my dads yesterday to use the ramps and steering was getting worse, vibration, juddering wheel and wandering all over the place. Obviously I was driving slow as I realised there was something wrong. If I was awawy from home I would have callled the Relay Service but since only few miles away thought I'd limp over to dads.

Anyway I rocked the steering while dad inspected underneath, turned out the steering rack had come loose! The two bolts where the rack mounts to the bulkhead on drivers side had worked loose, one was only finger tight, the other was almost out!!

Also noticed that the nearside front tyre had a nasty groove on the inside edgde which I would not had noticed if didnt look underneath, groove was deeper in some sections than others and almost through to canvas in one part, the outer part of the tyre still had 5mm tread left!! Dont know if this was caused by movement in the steering rack causing suspension geometry to move and catch the tyre?

Anyway put some thread lock on the loose bolts and tighened back up, steering now feels fine again. Also changed spare alloys over so have tidy tyres again.

Pure luck I got to dads when I did as much further could have totally lost my steering and could have had accident.

Has anyone had problem like this before?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

p.s. Happy Christmas to everyone.

Yeah lets hope so, been driving fine ever since.

Any one had problems with steering rack coming loose before? I wouldnt have thought its one of those components that would loosen with age unless theres any known faults or its been off before in its history, but even then i've done 12k miles in it since buying it and nothing up till now.