i-VTEC explained! *EDITED*

jalesi2001

Guest civicreaper

Just out of interest the 1.6 vtec we have gives around 160 bhp yet the 1.6 vtec a mate had on his forecourt was 108 I think. Whats the reason for the huge difference in power

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest the 1.6 vtec we have gives around 160 bhp yet the 1.6 vtec a mate had on his forecourt was 108 I think. Whats the reason for the huge difference in power

Different types of VTEC mate, the 160 bhp 1.6 twincam VTI 'B Series' engine is very similar to the 1.8 you have in your 'M's in terms of the way the Valves are controlled, it is also controlled and present on the inlet and exhaust cams, however the 1.6 'D Series' engine fitted to a EP2 civic sport, (108 bhp) only has VTEC on its inlet cam.  There are quite a few different types of VTEC, just cos a car has a VTEC badge on its wing, it doesnt mean its a quick one......

Yep, VTEC-e is different again, only opening one of the inlet valves partly when cruising, to save fuel and create a good swirl, which makes a better and more efficient combustion. I thought I put on here descriptions of the different types but I may be wrong, was a while ago now!

• Dave unpinned this topic