tow bars

prisspringle

hi guys,

following on from an old thread about bike racks, i've just been given a small trailer and wouldn't mind using it to transport my bikes around with some modding to it, now my vtis is lowered and of course has the vtis kit on it so i'd rather not have to take the back bumper off to use the trailer or have another that i can cut the bumper so i can leave it on all the time.

now my plan would be to make my own that i can remove from the car as and when i need to, probbly will need to be a swan neck one rather than a normal at a guess.

what i would like is some pictures of where and how the tow bars are fitted and the height of the ball from the ground.

any help and pic would be great.

many thanks chris

mine's lowerd 20mm, and has got a fixed witter towbar on it, it's got very little clearance between that and the bumper, got the vtis kit to go on and well the rear lip is going to be cut to allow it to fit, don't really want to lose the towbar as it is way to usefull not to have. i'll try to get some pic's during the week.

Phil have you got any pics of how the bar mounts, is it bolted to the spare wheel well? I've got a tow bar with electric fittings so I might make the brackets,I just want to know where to bolt it to, I guess that there's a height from the ground that the ball needs to be.

just thought, in the owner's manual, it should say somwhere the spec's on where the tow bar should be mounted, height off ground, max length from rear axle etc, just a thought is your looking at making your own.

you could also put a post up in the wanted section, you never know someone with a deck, getting rid of the towbar...

also rover 400 saloon i think are the same chassis at the back, so a rover 400/45/zs saloon towbar may fit.

• 2 months later...

I had a towbar fitted to my civic when I bought it, the bumper lip was cut to fit it and it bolted to the chassis rails as previously mentioned, tbh I dont think its really possible to get around not cutting the lip to get one fitted correctly to the car unless you really go into modifiying it and I couldnt tell you the ins and outs of doing that.