Help! Engine management light on

FlorayG

Hi I haven't been on this site for ages but I know you guys can help.

My engine management light keeps coming on - some days it does, some days it doesn't, some days it comes on in the middle of a trip.

My local mechanic says his diagnostic machine won't plug in to a car of this age (1998) and when he rang his computer supplier for advice they told him not to bother with old bangers! :eek: (he said he told them not to say that in front of his client  :twisted: )

Anyway what can I do? I really don't want to pay a main dealer prices just to get a diagnosis but is there any other way of finding out the problem? The car is running perfectly well except that the emissions are just above legal at the moment, is this due to the unknown fault?

Please help!

Catalytic converter,O2 sensor, air mass sensor or engine coolant temperature sensor would be the most common culprits of your description....

Does it use more fuel than normal? Does it occasionally run lumpy?

Unless you change all them in question and spend a lot of money, I'd just bite the bullet and get the plug in diagnostic, if you check eBay they sell DIY ones for £20 that tells you what's caused the code and allows you to delete it off to remove the light :)

Ok put your hand up under the glove box as close to the door as possible u should be able to pull down some plugs! On will be a five pin plug and the other will be a 2 pin plug. Get a paper clip and put it in the 2 pin plug so it bridges it. The turn the key in your ignition dont start it just to position b4 it starts. Then ur engine light will flash. It will flash slow then fast. Slow flashes will be 10s and fast flashes will be units. For example if it flashes twice slow and seven times fast that will be a code 27. Get the code and let me know Wat it is.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simpo...thanks, I'll do that (been on holiday for the last week) and let you know the result

Still in love with this car even though it's costing me a bit lately! 

Has been a bit lumpy just now and then this morning so the problem must be getting worse

• 3 weeks later...