D15Z8 Mani

MB3Matt

Right, I'm a bit out of the know when it comes to mechanical stuff, so I gotta ask, if I get a new mani for my D15Z8, which the cat is currently in, will I still be able to fit a sports cat?

I think mines halfway up, as there is what looks like the o2 sensor sticking through the heatshield... I havent had a chance to have a proper look yet.

I was hoping I wouldnt have to go custom. Could I get away with getting one, going cat-less, and just saving for custom for MOT?

If its on the mani then surly u can just put standard mani back on for mot. Like sleeper says u will then need a custom centre section

The D15Z8 in the MB3 and MB9 has a cast iron 'catifold'. The idea is that the hotter the cat the more efficiently it works. This set up is very effective but has a couple of drawbacks- It is very heavy, it costs about £750 to replace with a new oem unit and it is a bit more restrictive than a standard D series header.

You can change the whole setup for a standard D series exhaust- be careful not to mix up UK and JDM length cats though. You will obviously need an o2 bung high up in the new header but most have them anyway. You will probably gain a bit in power and lose a bit in mpg. Iirc you will need to replace the centre section as well as the D15Z8 one is unique, leaving the backbox as the only bit you don't need to swap- one of those jobs that will involve a lot of trial and error though!