Winterizing my MC1 - Getting ready for the snow

Butcher

So most Vauxhall or VAG wheels would fit...if they're the right size, of course?

Do all Honda's tend to be the same, say if I walked into a scrapyard and found a newer generation civic or something?

alreet butcher... I live in Stanley so know where you're coming from. last couple of years I've used kleber quadraxers... they're a winter tyre rather than a full on snow tyre and work great got stuck twice last year... once on sheet ice on a hill (was okay with a push) and once on the steep hill on my estate but that was coz the bit left between the tyre tracks was too deep for my loweredness and was lifting me of the snow (on with the snow socks though and away I went).

they're supposed to be tyres that you can use all year round, but once the temps much over 10-12 degrees you can feel them moving around a bit, but I've had 2 winters (November to March) on mine and there's hardly any wear ;)

alreet butcher... I live in Stanley so know where you're coming from. last couple of years I've used kleber quadraxers... they're a winter tyre rather than a full on snow tyre and work great got stuck twice last year... once on sheet ice on a hill (was okay with a push) and once on the steep hill on my estate but that was coz the bit left between the tyre tracks was too deep for my loweredness and was lifting me of the snow (on with the snow socks though and away I went).

they're supposed to be tyres that you can use all year round, but once the temps much over 10-12 degrees you can feel them moving around a bit, but I've had 2 winters (November to March) on mine and there's hardly any wear ;)

I'm surprised I've not seen you in Stanley mate, I'm up there all the time as my parents still live along East Stanley :)

Your almost the same age as me aswell

So most Vauxhall or VAG wheels would fit...if they're the right size, of course?

Do all Honda's tend to be the same, say if I walked into a scrapyard and found a newer generation civic or something?

Most 4 x 100 ones will fit- ideally you want a centre bore of 56.1 and an offset between ET45 and 38 ish. Thinner the tyres and the closer to a 45 offset the better it should handle on the snow I believe- though living on the south coast I'm not really an expert.

Honda and Rover steels are common in 14" (cheaper tyres and more rim protection) in 15" Vauxhall seems the best bet. I think the civic hybrid or Insight has 15" steels but they seem to be rare secondhand and pricey new. 

I've been thinking about getting some of these if the weather turns bad again-

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m94b0s712p97632/Uniroyal_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Uniroyal_MSPlus6_Uniroyal_MS_Plus_6_-_175_65_R14_82T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Been quite impressed with the rain experts on the punto- not seen many reviews on these though.

Those Uniroyal's look just the ticket. Cheers for that Hickster.

Dr Broon, I think I may have seen you around Stanley before. In fact I think you even waved at me once!

:lol:

sounds like me - the wife normally says something like "dork" when I do... last time was a couple of days ago when I gave a young lad in a lowered white metro the thumbs up in Whickham (so to speak)

I'm surprised I've not seen you in Stanley mate, I'm up there all the time as my parents still live along East Stanley :)

Your almost the same age as me aswell

I'll keep me eyes peeled for you bud 8-)

Most 4 x 100 ones will fit- ideally you want a centre bore of 56.1 and an offset between ET45 and 38 ish. Thinner the tyres and the closer to a 45 offset the better it should handle on the snow I believe- though living on the south coast I'm not really an expert.

Honda and Rover steels are common in 14" (cheaper tyres and more rim protection) in 15" Vauxhall seems the best bet. I think the civic hybrid or Insight has 15" steels but they seem to be rare secondhand and pricey new. 

I've been thinking about getting some of these if the weather turns bad again-

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m94b0s712p97632/Uniroyal_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Uniroyal_MSPlus6_Uniroyal_MS_Plus_6_-_175_65_R14_82T_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Been quite impressed with the rain experts on the punto- not seen many reviews on these though.

I'm loving the rain sports, and they were pretty good in the winter, but not a winter tyre...  If these had been around when I got the Kleber's I'd have been tempted for deffinates.

You will need to buy new wheel nuts for non Honda wheels though.

Going back to this for a second. What wheel nuts would I need, if I say, got Rover wheels? This is all too much for a simpleton like me. 

Dr Broon, I'm not being ignorant if I don't wave back....just a bit slow. My brain's usually ticking over, "who's that?" Though admittedly, I don't get many waves in the civic.

Dr Broon, I'm not being ignorant if I don't wave back....just a bit slow. My brain's usually ticking over, "who's that?" Though admittedly, I don't get many waves in the civic.

:lol: no worries same when it happens to me ;)

what was the last motor that you had - it wasn't the stagea that I've seen around was it?

what was the last motor that you had - it wasn't the stagea that I've seen around was it?

You must have been a detective in a previous life? The Stagea had to go unfortunately, before my bank account imploded.