Disc Noise

Butcher

I've been getting some really annoying rubbing on my discs in recent months (o/s front). Not when braking, but all the time while driving. Phishhh phishhh, phishhh phishhh, phhi, phhi, phhi, phhi...getting faster as I accelerate. It's like the opening scene in Apocalypse Now but not even mildly entertaining.   

Up until now my solution has been to shut the window. And it works. But it's not ideal...

Braking performance itself seems OK. Though I don't really drive it hard. Could it be the discs warped (I suppose they must be to a degree)? Or something less sinister?

All the pads I fitted myself not too long ago. But strangely both this car and a Rover 400 I owned a few years back both had 'issues' with the brakes. Sticky calipers and whatnot. I changed the pads on this one because only one (the inside one on the n/s front - not the pair) wore right through (the others barely worn at all). The Rover was similar with discs rubbing and so on (I think the cars share the same parts?). Is it common with these cars to have niggles with the brakes, and anything you can do about them? 

Whip 'em off and get them skimmed if there's enough material left. Grease up the caliper sliders and pad shims etc with copper grease at the same time. The rear callipers are notorious for siezing up- check the rubber seals and the handbrake action.

Something has been heating up the discs (probably bedding in the new pads) but could be pads rubbing full time on one side of the disc. The discs do often warp- currently using Brembo oem spec all round which seem fairly resistant but I still have a small warp on both rears.

Rover 400's have the same Lucas system on most models and are equally mediocre. You can do an MGZS upgrade on the same hubs if you feel the need for slightly better braking.

Just had a look around and I didn't realise discs were so cheap. Though maybe that's why I have Apocalypse Now every time I move, maybe they're made of cheese? Because otherwise, they're in good condition. 

Cheers for the service info. 

X2 agree with above. The sliders that the calipers bolt onto dry up after time. Take them out when the calipers off and put loads of grease in the hole and on slider until they get springy when pushed in. Make sure the rubber boots are back in tight. Should defo sort with new discs or a skim