S9B with ITR 4.785 FD & ITR 0.787 5th gear

matej

yesterday I noticed that my clutch may be on it's way...when changing gears I noticed 2 or 3 times that after gear change the car lost it's power a lot and after one second the car juddered ahead as the clutch finally kicked in. I guess that means I will have to chance the clutch. I have some clutch or transmission bearing bit noisy so I was waiting for the clutch time to sort them out. The thing is when the clutch + gearbox will be out I might do some modifications to it.

I've read that the mb6 is really great with itr gearbox but since it would be too expensive to get whole s80 (which is hydraulic opposed to cable operated s9b) I was wondering if I can just put the ITR final drive 4.785. Will it fit straight into my s9b box?

Also I was thinking of getting the ITR 5th gear to lower my motorway revs. Since the ITR has 0.787 opposed to 0.848 in S9B it will lower my revs very close to how they were with the original s9b gears. So if it would fit it would be a win win situation. Better acceleration due to higher FD and almost the same revs at motorway speeds due to changing the 5th. I hope I don't need to change the mainshaft/c**tershaft for the FD but not sure if I also add the ITR 5th into the mix. The EDM DC2 ITR 4.785 FD from Honda is about 220ish and the 0.787 5th itr gear is about 100 pounds.

check the gear ratios calculations to see the difference of adding the 5th gear from ITR

stock s9b vs s9b with 4.785 FD

stock s9b vs s9b with 4.785 FD and 0.787 ITR 5th gear

there might be even better 5th gears (for lowering the motorway revs) from other b-series transmissions but I guess the itr would do just fine. Please let me know what you think. I need to be 100% sure it will fit before I order it.

Also what clutch would you recommend as an alternative to oem? I was thinking of getting some together with a flywheel. I don't know what is the original mb6 flywheel weight so I cannot decide how light flywheel I want. I don't want it to be considerably lighter as I don't want the revs to drop too fast. I want it to be driveable in the traffic without any problems. I was looking at ebay.co.uk and there are just too many clutch + flywheel kits available. Can I order an integra b18 clutch for my mb6? I guess it will fit to my b18 mb6 as well. I was looking at the top range of 150-170 for the clutch+flywheel. There are many to choose from there. Please help me with since I have no knowledge about these aftermarket clutches and flywheels.

My car is failry stock. Only an intake and exhaust. My supersprint middle section actually rusted off today when I was arriving home (shame). In my street I heard a sudden change in the sound and I knew immediately what was going on since I knew the middle section had 2 holes in it already and was due for a change. I have the stock middle + end section of oem honda exhasut used only a couple of months so I will just use the middle section and keep the supersprint rear muffler.

67 results found for b18 clutch flywheel on ebay uk

Both the s80 and the s9b gearbox's are hydrolic not cable

As for the fltwheel be careful as the lighter you go the more torque you will lose . But the revs will pick up faster .

All that messing around with the gearbox will cost you more than a s80 box just save up and buy one it takes a second of the 0-60 time on a standard mb6. Rich.

Rich, how come it would cost more than the whole s80 box? The ITR final drive is 220ish and the 5th gear from itr is about 100 GBP. The only used s80 I've found on ebay is 700GBP. And it has 66 thousand miles according to one auction and 99 thousand miles according to other auction. So it would probably need an inspection anyway, so not sure how much it would save me labour wise to get the s80.

In the s80 the thing that shaves off that second is the gap between 1st and 2nd gear. Which is of course nice, but that will only be an advantage when going from a stand still. In a normal traffic use you hardly ever downshift to 1st to overtake, so you would almost never use that closer gear ratios between 1st and 2nd in normal use. That is why I am not sure of coughing up that much money on the s80 box. If I can put the ITR FD and ITR 5th into s9b straight without having to change anything else than the parts money would be 350 vs 700 GBP. Labour wise the s9b would cost me more, but since I need to change some noisy bearing in either the clutch or the gearbox I would have the gearbox pretty much sorted after that and good for another lots of miles. My Honda dealer said it is probably one of the bearing inside the transmission, but my friend says it is probably just in the clutch, which seems more likely to me cause when I slightly push the gear lever to left or right I can hear the bearing hissing noise. Can you please explain it in more detail?

Another thing to consider is that I have a spare gearbox from my old mb6, which has lots of miles (150k), but is in better nick than my current box (60k). If I just swap the FD and 5th in the s9b all the other parts could be replaced from the other gearbox in case something very bad happens. I will chnage the bearing to new anyway but maybe it could be of some use.

Maybe it would be wiser to sell it and lower the cost of the s80 but the demand for those s9b boxes probably won't be big. And since both the s9b boxes I have are not 100% good (well the old one was pretty much ok apart form little resistance when changing into 1st and reverse but it has very high mileage so that will put buyers off so I will have to go down with the price) I won't sell them for a good price. I would have to be very lucky to sell both those s9b gearboxes to someone for a price of the used s80.

i have a standard flywheel in the garage next time im in there ill weigh it .

As for £700 for a s80 box good god :shock: were have you been looking . my mate got one for £450 fitted . Are you rebuilding the box yourself then , its not a easy job , im a mechanic and to be fair i do not know if i would strip the box bown and rebuild it . so if you are not doing it yourself you have labour for building the box i would not like to put a price on that + your £350 for the parts you have mentioned but what about all the bearings and other worn out stuff in the box .There will be more once its stripped down . it will cost you loads more to rebuild that box changing around the diff and gears than to pay an average of £500 for the s80 box. As for the noise you have if when you move the gear leaver you are changing the noise its not the clutch . thats for sure . if it was the clutch it would only change putting your foot on and off the clutch. Rich.

thx for the detailed reply rich...well that was the first one I've found (on ebay)...since than I've found a chap who breaks jap cars and was selling the 98spec s80 for 400 euro. I've called him and regettably he sold the box this morning, but he says he should have another one within a week. So fingers crossed.

Btw the hissing noise appears not when changing gears. The noise appears if I lighly push the gear lever to left or right (while in gear). And when I also press the clutch (while still pushing the gear lever left/right) the noise stops. That is why I was thinking it might be clutch related. My friend told me he had the same problem with his other car and it was some clutch bearing if I remember correct. Definately it was something with the clutch and not the gearbox itself. That doesn't mean that the gearbox bearings are ok of course.

With the price of about 400-500 euro/or even gbp it probably would be wiser just to get the whole s80 box but the answer is how long will the box last without any maintance. It might be worth inspecting it a little before putting it in anyway. Now I just need to sell the s9b boxes now and hopefully that will cover the s80 box including some work on it.

Thx again for your input. I am a mechanical noob so I only know what I can read while browsing the web. Sorry to give you tech gyus the headache with my silly questions ;o]

The bearing on the clutch you are talking about is called the release bearing. They can get noisy over time, and like Rich says, to test it, have the car running at idle not in gear. You should be able to hear the bearing noise, then, push your clutch pedal down and your noise should stop. If this is the case, then its probably your release bearing, which is changed if you replace your clutch with a 3 piece clutch kit. Hope this little bit of info helps....as for gear ratios and stuff like that....i haven't got a clue!!! Im also a mechanic though, and like Rich says, stripping gearboxes is a pants job, and will probably cost you a lot of labour. Lets hope you can get your ITR box from that chap!! 8-)8-)

btw the guy I talked to was called John...found his breaking ITR advert somewhere. He seemed like a nice guy. The connection wasn't very good and I had problems understanding him everything and wasn't able to catch the email, but he immediately texted me it. I haven't noticed the advert also had it in the flyer. Hope I can sort out the communitacion with him via email. Maybe my speaking skills are a lot better than my listening skills, so maybe he anticipated he can speak to me at full speed which was over my limit. Maybe him being irish wasn't helping me either. And my crappy phone might be the one to blame as well.

japbreak.jpg

anyone have any experience with them? They are located somewhere in the Limerick, Ireland area.

found this when googling for japbreak....his ebay profile has only positive feedback too

JapBreak Ireland

Ballinvana,Martinstown,Kilmallock,Co. Limerick

Phone (063)-88938 Fax (063)-88120 Mobile (087)-2761111

Car Dismantlers PartFinder Website: www.partfinder.ie/japbreak

E-mail: japbreak@hotmail.com

Archived