Interior light and ignition barrel light always on!

comedywizard

Hi guys, havent posted on here in a while but recently noticed that the Interior light and ignition barrel light always on when locking the car!

I have checked the interior switch and it is in the correct position for interior light to turn on/off with the door opening.

I presume that when you switch the car off and remove ignition key the barrel light goes on also? I know from my old aerodeck that the ignition barrel light switches on when you unlock the car until you start it.

I know when locking the car the interior light doesnt turn off it just dims really low and stays on, also the ignition barrel light stays on! Obviously dont want to run the battery down overnight, especially with colder weather on its way.

Any ideas?? 

Thanks

My interior light did that a few times i discovered it was due to rain, each time it happened to me i had the sunroof on tilt and it was raining. since then i make sure not to have it like this and it has not happened again so it is due to water shorting the circuit.

So maybe you have water leaking through the sunroof (if you have one that is of course)

• Like 1

Hi mate. It's one we've not heard of before (apart from Mark above!) but would suggest checking the door switches one by one. Give them all a spray with switch cleaner, then push them in and out for about 3 mins on each one. If it's dirty contacts, that should clear it. If not, check the terminals on the actual light itself, see if theres any sign of corrosion on them. As Mark said, if it's water getting to them, then you should see some signs around the terminals. If that checks out ok, then it has to be the actual light around the ignition barrel itself. It's weird that the light is dimming first, then not going fully out, as we dont have the dimming interior light system on our M's. That works from a capacitor (transitor looking thing) which stores power when the light is on, then slowly discharges when the power is cut from the light. Could be a bad earth somewhere between the interior light and the ign barrel light.

Mate you say it is on dim when locked does it go out completely when you turn the ignition on..

Hi mate. It's one we've not heard of before (apart from Mark above!) but would suggest checking the door switches one by one. Give them all a spray with switch cleaner, then push them in and out for about 3 mins on each one. If it's dirty contacts, that should clear it. If not, check the terminals on the actual light itself, see if theres any sign of corrosion on them. As Mark said, if it's water getting to them, then you should see some signs around the terminals. If that checks out ok, then it has to be the actual light around the ignition barrel itself. It's weird that the light is dimming first, then not going fully out, as we dont have the dimming interior light system on our M's. That works from a capacitor (transitor looking thing) which stores power when the light is on, then slowly discharges when the power is cut from the light. Could be a bad earth somewhere between the interior light and the ign barrel light.

OY!!!!! Whats with the made up names my first name is Mr it says so in my profile... Who is this Mark Fella'..

Boss or no Boss im not standing for it LOL....

Thanks for the advise guys, when I get a chance to look at it and when it decides to stop raining for 10 mins I will try to have a look! I'll check all your suggestions and let you know when (hopefully) I find the problem. Need to investigate sharpish before the winter as the car is leaking also, need to drive it with waders!!