MC1 Rear N/S Wheel Grinding

Butcher

This only started yesterday, but it's concerning me.

Imagine the noise you get when your brake pads wear down to the metal. That grinding. It sounds a little like that, and it appears to be coming from the vicinity of the N/S rear wheel - though it doesn't appear to get any louder when I open the window.

It only appears to happen once the car gets warmed up, after 10 miles or so. And from there on, it happens intermittently, but more noticeably taking right hand corners - even very gently.

There are no noticeable wobbles, or performance issues. Just noise.

I wouldn't describe it as a hum. Definitely a grinding sound.

When I had a Rover 416 (Honda based), the CV boot split on the front, and when the car warmed up, because there was no grease left, it would heat up, begin to seize, and start pulling to the left. I'm no mechanic, and I don't know how the rear wheels are set up, but it strikes me that it could be a similar issue, even if different?

Pads on the disc look good btw - at least on the outside. (My experience of this car is they can wear at very different rates!)

Any ideas?

The thing that worries me, is that it's relatively loud. Not super loud, but there's been no transition, no hum, nothing. Just straight to a very noticeable grinding.

All I can do is jack it up and check it I suppose.

I shouldn't have read the internet. All these stories of catastrophic wheel bearing failure haven't helped at all :shock: Must be getting old. At one time I'd have happily carried on with 3 wheels.

Interesting. It didn't do it on the way home tonight.. Though I wasn't sure if it was I, or my paranoia that was detecting a very feint rumble. 

Will see what it's like during the week. Don't fancy working on the car in the dark. 

It could be your caliper seizing, as said get it in the air and rotate the wheels and listen for noises, make sure they spin freely and try and see if there's any lateral movement by  holding them top and bottom and try to move them.