Tyre wear

spudley1988

Hey folks looking for some advice here. My tyres are wearing on inner and outer edges and wandered if you guys could give some input. Tyre size is 195/50/15. Guy at my work reckoned tyres being over flated, they were sitting at 33psi. Ive put them down to 27 just now but other people have said under inflated tyres could cause it. Surely over 33psi would be way to much?

Over-inflated tyres will wear in the centre as you are reducing the amount the they squash down onto the road.

Under-inflated tyres will wear on the outside edges because you are increasing the squash and the load is taken on the outside edges.

33psi should be about right, I keep mine at 32-34.

This is just a guess but when did you last check your ball joints n track rod ends as they can promote tyre wear if worn out it might not be but its something to check anyway

Ahhhh balls. Any ideas why both edges would be wearing? Is yours 32 from cold or is that the tyres hot?

Also apologies for double thread no idea why this has happened.

I put 32psi in all four from cold, but weird that yours have worn like that anyway! Maybe check alignment?

I'll sort the second thread! :)

Ahhhh balls. Any ideas why both edges would be wearing? Is yours 32 from cold or is that the tyres hot?

Also apologies for double thread no idea why this has happened.

Yes, from cold. It could be a geometry problem, track rods, ball joints etc. but because it's both edges I'd be inclined to think it was tyre pressures.

How old are they? If they're getting on a bit it's worth getting new and then having it tracked. 

Not sure How old they are or that to be honest but it's been on the ramp and their was no visible play with anything. Tyres been on since just before Xmas so it's a sickner. Been recomended to pop them up to 34 as mate says if doing higher speeds tyres shud be pumped up higher coz of the speeds. So may try 34 as I sometimes am in a rush to say the least. Mat still try tracking as well.

A mate of mine had the same thing but on both rears, just been for a full alignment and discovered the toe arm's was loose and that's caused the same wear on both his rear tyres, less than 6 months old!

A few people saying underinflated tyres. When guy at my work first thought it could have been over inflated tyres i went to asda and put them from 32/33 or their abouts to 27. Then loads of people said it would happen with under inflated tyres so popped them up to 33 at shell. However my mate who is a mechanic said the machines at petrol stations arent that accurate so the next day at work I had them checked with one of  the handheld tyre checkers through the air lines and they read 30. So is it possible they have maybe been down for a bit or possibly still some other issue?