Hi there looking for my old car Cindy Civic X998 FLE

PsychoDogBeast

Hi there all

I havn't been around here for a long time but do check back regularly, used to own Rubys twin X998 FLE down here in Huddersfield, but swayed away a couple of years ago to drive an E46 M3, I've just sold the M3 on sunday and have decided to get back into Honda ownership.

The M3 was great, very reliable, parts were dear and when minor things needed doing they were very expensive, fuel was grim but it goes with a 3.2 litre engine. There was always the back of my mind is it going to break, or when is it going to break thoughts, i was also disappointed with the build quality too, to say it was a prestige car the quality of the body was worse than my old MB6.

Anyway's i was wondering if my old Cindy Civic was still doing the rounds, or if anyone still owns it on here, im going to see a FN2 type R on friday, but if anyone still has my old car i would happily pay good money to buy it back if they want to get rid.

Cheers James

• Like 3

Hi james! Good to see ya back mate! I'm not too sure if she is still around mate, can't remember seeing her pop back up in the forum :-(  Theres been a hella lot of the good vti/vtis's getting broken for spares in the last year, mainly just for the engine conversions. Try a dvla tax check see when the last time she was taxed. Be good if you could get her back man!

This story seems to sound familiar..................lol I bought Ruby back after 3 months without her! She's gone now, but is still in the forum and gettin well looked after by her new owner John.

Hiya dave hows it goin. Ha ha ive never been away just turned into a long time lurker

good to see ruby still going strong and the new owner looking after her.

I did a askmid check this afternoon and like you say shes still taxed so thats great.

I think the fn2 urge is calling me now. But if I can find cindy between now and friday id happily pay good money for it. It was the best car ive ever had

best regards james

Cheers

I think by now the old girl will be completely knackered (the lad i sold it to, had it bumped/or bumped it) i saw it up for sale again last year and it had a 1.4 front bumper and the original 15" vti wheels.

Ive done some reading on the FN2's and they sound pretty cool cars, im sure will be nippy but not in the same league as the big straight six.

best regards james

lol you're right krzys, my sig and info needs updated! James, I've got an FN2 TypeR now mate! Alabaster silver with the optional Rage alloys. They are amazing power wise, gearboxes are really nice to use, and the ratios are spot on. You get brilliant accelaration, but she can also potter around town at 25-30mph in 6th! The gears are just such a perfect match for the engine! Handling on them is actually really good, so long as you fit top brand tyres. Put cheapies on and the FN2 will throw you into the first hedge it sees! Exterior wise, considering the oldest one was built in 2006 (christ has it been that long since that style of civic was launched!?), they still look fresh as hell! Actually think the 8th gen civic looks more up to date and sharper than the latest one! Interior is also better than in the latest one, looks much more futaristic. Love the interior!

Day to day living?? Well, let me see. The only way that I can think to describe it is this. Its a marmite car, but a marmite with a difference. Normal marmite, you either love it or hate it. The FN2 marmite is different in that some days I love the car, other days I totally hate it!  Here's the pros and cons!

Pros:

The exterior styling

The interior styling

Gear ratios

Power

Handling

Levels of equipment is high! has all the toys!

Cons:

Normal driving, it's a bloody pig to live with!

When driving from cold, makes you look like a learner driver! Kangaroos all over the place!

Suspension, its what I can best describe as stupid hard! Really, living with it day to day can be a huge pain in the ass, so much so that some days I drive it I feel its actually a chore to drive!

MPG! When I first bought her, Gayle and me done a long drive down to county Durham, and she got excellent mpg (think ti was around 355-360 miles to the tank. That was a mix of motorway, A roads, some gentle driving then a few times spent in vtec overtaking. She has never got that kinda mileage since, even if I driver like a granddad! Not sure if its just because winter time all the electrics are going?

Build quality. In a word, it's effing crap! Don't get me wrong, the doors shut with a reasuring "thunk", the dashboard and interior plastics are top notch etc. But the standard 8th gen civics arent exactly well screwed together, so suffer various squeaks and rattles. Couple that with overly stiff suspension and the TypeR sounds as if every bloody thing that could come loose has come loose! The rattles are bad enough, but the effing squeaks!!! They take ages to find, and can be troublesome to cure. The fabric on the TypeR seats isnt very long lasting either. Yes the seats look amazing, and are really comfy and hold you in nicely, but they start to wear (especially the red centres fabric, which goes "bobbly" like a wooly hat or jumper does) really quickly. Pauls mums FN2 is a year older than mine and the seats are basically fecked!  I've found out a lot on civinfo.co.uk about them and their problems, and how to try and sort them. I would think long and hard about buying the FN2 mate, they are good, but they are also bad!

Would I buy one again?? Hmmm, really not sure.

lol you're right krzys, my sig and info needs updated! James, I've got an FN2 TypeR now mate! Alabaster silver with the optional Rage alloys. They are amazing power wise, gearboxes are really nice to use, and the ratios are spot on. You get brilliant accelaration, but she can also potter around town at 25-30mph in 6th! The gears are just such a perfect match for the engine! Handling on them is actually really good, so long as you fit top brand tyres. Put cheapies on and the FN2 will throw you into the first hedge it sees! Exterior wise, considering the oldest one was built in 2006 (christ has it been that long since that style of civic was launched!?), they still look fresh as hell! Actually think the 8th gen civic looks more up to date and sharper than the latest one! Interior is also better than in the latest one, looks much more futaristic. Love the interior!

Day to day living?? Well, let me see. The only way that I can think to describe it is this. Its a marmite car, but a marmite with a difference. Normal marmite, you either love it or hate it. The FN2 marmite is different in that some days I love the car, other days I totally hate it!  Here's the pros and cons!

Pros:

The exterior styling

The interior styling

Gear ratios

Power

Handling

Levels of equipment is high! has all the toys!

Cons:

Normal driving, it's a bloody pig to live with!

When driving from cold, makes you look like a learner driver! Kangaroos all over the place!

Suspension, its what I can best describe as stupid hard! Really, living with it day to day can be a huge pain in the ass, so much so that some days I drive it I feel its actually a chore to drive!

MPG! When I first bought her, Gayle and me done a long drive down to county Durham, and she got excellent mpg (think ti was around 355-360 miles to the tank. That was a mix of motorway, A roads, some gentle driving then a few times spent in vtec overtaking. She has never got that kinda mileage since, even if I driver like a granddad! Not sure if its just because winter time all the electrics are going?

Build quality. In a word, it's effing crap! Don't get me wrong, the doors shut with a reasuring "thunk", the dashboard and interior plastics are top notch etc. But the standard 8th gen civics arent exactly well screwed together, so suffer various squeaks and rattles. Couple that with overly stiff suspension and the TypeR sounds as if every bloody thing that could come loose has come loose! The rattles are bad enough, but the effing squeaks!!! They take ages to find, and can be troublesome to cure. The fabric on the TypeR seats isnt very long lasting either. Yes the seats look amazing, and are really comfy and hold you in nicely, but they start to wear (especially the red centres fabric, which goes "bobbly" like a wooly hat or jumper does) really quickly. Pauls mums FN2 is a year older than mine and the seats are basically fecked!  I've found out a lot on civinfo.co.uk about them and their problems, and how to try and sort them. I would think long and hard about buying the FN2 mate, they are good, but they are also bad!

Would I buy one again?? Hmmm, really not sure.

I would say the EP3 isn't very far away from how you've written up the FN2!

Brilliant car, but there are days I'd rather have something softer or more refined! 

Gear ratios as you say are spot on, 18mph in 4th gear is easy (the fastest you seem to go in rush hour here) but at the same time it's very eager to get up and go and encourages hooligan driving :lol:

• Like 1

Hiya lads

Dave thanks for the great reply, a totally unbiased review like that is just what i need to read, would you believe as a daily driver it sounds exactly the same as my BMW used to be, especially the driving from cold, it was a pig, stuttering, kangarooing like you say, maked you look like a learner driver, so that ticks box number 1 lol

The suspension on the M3 was again hard as nails, if you sat in the back it was unbearable, i had a Milltek cat back on it as well (bad choice) so i think the Civic should be nice and quiet

I like the exterior of the car, when they first came out i thought it looked hideous, but its grown better with age, very futuristic.

the one im going to see tommorow is 'fully' specced out, it even has sat nav, i wanted all the toys my M3 had, parking sensors/auto lights/wipers/folding mirrors/sat nav etc, it seemed a shame to go backwards.

The mpg im not too bothered about as, the BM did 220 miles to a tank (£85) and i averaged 18mpg, on a run the highest i saw was 28mpg and the lowest i ever saw was 3.9mpg!!!!!!!, but boy that thing did shift :)

I think providing the exterior of the civic is well built im not too bothered about the odd rattle and squeek, the exterior of the BMW was crap, it was built out of cheap sttel, ive never chased surface rust on a car like that before, in my ownership (under 12 year corrosion warranty) it had 2 new wings, sills/ rear flanks/ windscreen pillers painting and a new boot floor as it was starting to corrode and crack, the bill for the latter was £6900! paid for BMW uk, the thing only had 50,000 miles on it

Ive had a look at all the cars available between 7-10k and the civic is the only one i really like, id have a S2000 but the other half has said no to 2 seaters, i guess the kids do come first and no way in gods earth would i have another BMW

Ive owned 5 hondas before and never had any bother with them, the last been cindy C, in 7 years including suspension, brakes, paint, body kits etc i couldnt have spent more than 3k on her, in the first month i spent £3k on the BM

Thanks again for all the great advice

James

• Like 1