Sticky throttle after engine wash B18C4

Dexter

So gave the engine a proper wash, and since then the throttle has been slightly sticky at times. Usually this happens while driving on 2nd or 3rd between 2000-3000rpm and only when accelerating lightly. Once you press the pedal properly, there's no problem. So not a major problem, but an annoying one.

I gave the cable a proper cleaning with break cleaner and rag, then oiled it thoroughly with gun oil and used compressed air to blow the rest of the grime out. I've tried engine oil and gun oil since to lube it, but the problem remains even though it's not as evident anymore. I checked the throttle body and seems to open as normal.

Any suggestions? I thought about removing the whole cable from the throttle body and dripping gun oil into the plastic tube surrounding the cable, but didn't manage to remove the it from the throttle body. But the cause of the problem was obviously the engine wash, but any ideas what to try next? It could be something else than the throttle too, it's just what it feels like. Maybe even ignition, or fuel??? Never had symptoms like this before so not sure.

I think the best way to cure it would be to get some grease, and grease the mechanism (return spring etc) on the throttle body where the cable joins onto it. You'll find the grease makes it work more smoothly, as the oil tends to thin out as it runs elsewhere. Hopefully, that should cure it. If not, then check the entire cable incase it's getting snagged somewhere, as even the slightest kink in the cable will affect it. If the cable looks ok, then have a look at the end where it goes onto the accelerator pedal. Even though its only happened since cleaning the bay, it could be a coincidence so best to check at the pedal too.

Hope this helps bud

:wink: