Peoples thoughts on these Tyres

Sega

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good!

my car is a bit of a animal on tires living in the land of round abouts in milton keynes but i also have to have good grip so i can kick a*s and not slow dowm

they take a few hundred miles to bed in but ones worn a bit they are wicked , good when you push them hard and good for evey day , run them for a track day and held up too

There's not a lot of choice for the stock Civic wheel sizes these days. I've read very positive and very negative things about the Toyo's, some love them and others hate them. From what I understand from my tuning supplier (who is also Toyo dealer so it might not be too reliable) is that they used to have soft sidewalls but that this has been improved in the more recent production version. Some other alternatives have been discussed here.

I'm still waiting for my new wheels or when the tyres are really worn down until I splash out on tyres but the T1R's or R1R's are definately on my shortlist. The R1R's are more slick-ish but apparently don't have terrible handling during rain, although you can't expect them to perform excellent in these conditions. Because of the rubber compound they will wear down quicker and aren't suitable for winter temperatures.

The RIR:

grproxesr1r.jpg

This is how i rate the tyres i have tried on the MB over the years.

1) Hankook RS2- These are like a half slick tyre similar to a Toyo R888, but not as sticky, but much better in the wet. not as long lasting. Superb in the dry! decent in the wet. Excellent sidewall stiffness. Although these produce abit more road noise.

2) Vredestein Sportrac3 (current tyres)- All round weather tyre. Excellent dry grip and excellent wet grip. sidewall is not as stiff as the RS2, but still pretty firm. road noise is much better than the RS2's.

3) Goodyear Eagle F1- Good dry and wet grip. pretty long lasting. and good road noise. biggest problem i think with these are the soft sidewalls.

4) Toyo T1R- decent good and wet grip and great value for money. not as long lasting, around the same as the RS2. sidewall is also too soft for the MB.

Out of the 4 above i recommend the Vredesteain Sportrac3. Best all rounder and nice firm sidewall and not over expensive, cheaper than the eaglef1's.

If your anywhere close to Elite in Rainham then i recommend you go there as they are usually cheaper with fitting and balancing included.

hope this helps

I'm not familiar with them but if the T1R has too soft sidewalls and they're supposed to be a sportier range than the proxes they're probably worse than the T1R performancewise. They will however most likely be more long lasting.

I only have experience with my current tyres, Michelin Pilot Exalto and they get a thumbs down from me, too comfy instead of grippy.

I had Bridgestone Turanza ER300 on my previous car, an EG and I did like them. Not ultra sporty but plenty of grip, both in dry and in wet conditions.

I have the toyo t1r on all my wheels for my EP3 and to be honest i cant notice much difference. Yes the sidewalls are softer and it doesnt give as much grip as bridgestones etc but it is a mid range tyre and in my opinion brilliant for the money. If anything the car will maybe slide a bit more when giving it some but not by much. If your after a mid range tyre i would recommend the toyo t1r but if you can afford it id go bridgestone

Go for the yokohama parada spec 2 , for 195 / 50 r15 they are £78 for the pair with free postage, They are a great tyre , i was running 380 bhp on them and they were the best tyre i have ever had , i think you would have to go to the toyo r888 to better them and the are £95 each for this size .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/195-50-15-YOKOHAM ... 2c54163679

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/195-50-15-TOYO-R8 ... 439dc4146e

Rich.

Archived