Advancing the timing

syder

this is getting off topic mate, if you have driven vti 1.8 you will know what i mean prob diffrent to the smaller gearbox, engine, that you may have. there is more than one topic regarding the upgrade to final drive ratio on gearbox ect see att re :shock: the second one is rev for vtec modification :shock:

http://cars.homenetcs.co.uk/honda-civic ... earbox.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-1-8-V ... 5ad0e83e15

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find you need to hit near 8400* in order to change through the gears without it dropping out of vtec. Mucho annoying as my B20 had vtec smoothly crossing in at 4800.

Agree torque is dropping off beyond mid 7k, but if you change then you will drop out of vtec when you change gear.

*Thats what its reading on my tacho, although that could be a million miles out...

I find you need to hit near 8400* in order to change through the gears without it dropping out of vtec. Mucho annoying as my B20 had vtec smoothly crossing in at 4800.

Agree torque is dropping off beyond mid 7k, but if you change then you will drop out of vtec when you change gear.

*Thats what its reading on my tacho, although that could be a million miles out...

you got resonator box in out mate?any induction mods?

mine was better whithout resonator box can definatly feel/hear it/decat/as well as k&n pannel filter

but 17/45/205 on it @125 in top really going 132!!but getting 125 in 4th @8400 put it in5th & just stays :evil: getting standard wheels see if diffrent feel ect one day supercharge it :twisted:8-) should pull 5th off the clock then :shock:

http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/65/62249165.html

Guest Daz81

FWIW messing with the ignition timing willy nilly is a recipe for disaster, the simple fact that "what does pinking sound like is it obvious" i would stay clear.

You are more likely to get Pinking/pinging/knock/det what ever you want to call it at low rpm under high load. this isnt so detrimental, how ever getting det at higher RPM's will be a major problem, and i doubt you would hear it with a just your ears, as exhaust/intake/road/wind noise would be far to loud.

Make some cheap det cans and try it that way, 1mm moved on the dizzy is approx 1degree, also adjusting the dizzy with the engine running is pointless if you don't short out the timing connector as the ecu will just compensate. it mustbe done with the engine off, also worth remebering that this will be changing the static timing the ecu see's so although it will be improving in some area's you may have gone past MBT in others and this will be loosing power.

ALso plug pulling may help, but this will only help if A. you know what your looking for and B. you know how to to it properly.

Daz

poss but will suffer midrange torque,drivability =torque wins races 8-)

wonder whats going on @8400 rpm :shock: any probs@that speed and goodbye engine :oops:

thanks daz81

Archived