whats wrong

lacos

just checked spark plugs, on number 3 there was oil all over the washer of the plug and inside the plug bore, whats causing this problem any ideas peps , and yes it does use oil but not loads its smokes a little on tick over :(

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A spark plug shorted by excessive oil entering the combustion chamber is shown below.

http://www.skatemalaysia.com/planbmedia/plugbasah.jpg

This is often caused by piston rings or cylinder walls that are badly worn. Oil may also be pulled into the chamber because of excessive clearance in the valve stem guides, or badly worn valve stem seals. If the PCV valve is plugged or inoperative, it can cause a buildup of crankcase pressure. This condition can force oil and oil vapors past the rings and valve guides into the combustion chamber.

Also check

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/tech ... gnosis.htm :mrgreen:

Did the plug lead have oil on it , if so its just the rocker cover seals ,you have one that goes around the outer edge and 4 x o rings that go around the plug holes one of them will be leaking and filling up chamber. Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers lads will change gaskets when i get valve clearance done see if it cures it but like i said i think a comp test will reassure me that its not the rings ,,, i think it would smoke a lot more, what other symptoms would there be if it was the rings :shock::D:P

Are you actually losing alot of oil? thats a surefire way to assume that somethings wrong. When you vtec get someone to follow and see if any blue smoke plumes out on WOT.

Then its the rings.. However, loads of old Series tends to be valve guides or stem seals.

You'll know if its the valvetrain as when you back off gas, blue smoke should also emit out.

Archived