Speaker interference

edwardm

Got a small amount of interference relative to the revs of the engine.

I assume this is a grounding problem. Someone told me one of my cables may be going to ground where it shouldn't, although i'm sure they're ALL well insulated.

Could i have a bad ground? Or an RCA lead too close to power/ground?

Thanks

Or more likey a amplified speaker wire too close to a decent power cable! :D

will never happen

Its most likely that you have not got a very good earth for your amp. Because of this the amp has used the RCA's as an earth and the signal has gone into the headunit and blown part of the rca circuit causing the interference

What are you using for the earth?

Make sure its not painted metal, this will be usless as an earth

Or more likey a amplified speaker wire too close to a decent power cable! :D

will never happen

Its most likely that you have not got a very good earth for your amp. Because of this the amp has used the RCA's as an earth and the signal has gone into the headunit and blown part of the rca circuit causing the interference

What are you using for the earth?

Make sure its not painted metal, this will be usless as an earth

lol. It happened to me :) Ran my power cables too close to the speaker wires and... lovely high pitched screamer.

Well i replaced my earth strap on the engine and gearbox, but for stronger cable with newer connections. Surely this can't be the culprit.

Also, i haven't touched the earth on the battery - maybe this need replacing?

I get the interference on the cd player and all sources i think, it's obviously an amplifier related problem, not a cd scratched or a bad radio reception.

I used somewhere by the standard, rear, drivers side speaker pod to earth the amp. It's just below the speaker i think, if you pull the carpet back, it's behind there.

Thoughts?

Well i replaced my earth strap on the engine and gearbox, but for stronger cable with newer connections. Surely this can't be the culprit.

Also, i haven't touched the earth on the battery - maybe this need replacing?

I get the interference on the cd player and all sources i think, it's obviously an amplifier related problem, not a cd scratched or a bad radio reception.

I used somewhere by the standard, rear, drivers side speaker pod to earth the amp. It's just below the speaker i think, if you pull the carpet back, it's behind there.

Thoughts?

upgrading the battery earth will help your electrical system yes but it will just help with voltage drop. Remember all the electrics in the car are one system linked through the battery so the larger the cable the better the flow and the more current can flow through.

Your amps earth, is it on a painted surface? If so then get rid of that paint.

I used the hole in the bottom of the spare wheel well to fit a bolt, sanded the paint down to bare metal and i didnt have a problem.

I currently have a battery in the boot so I run 0awg from the batteries earth to a bolt which goes through the boot floor. No water gets in as the bolt is bigger than the hole was when it was drilled and it was sealed up using underseal.

Again, no interference at all

Archived