A fix for cold weather problems?

tontvti

Many of us are having problems in these constant subzero temperatures. My MB6 takes 40min to warm up on the drive to work in -10C weather :lol: yeah its not a pleasant experience. And yes it drinks more fuel and yes using the heater draws heat from the engine cooling system meaning it takes longer and the coolant doesnt warm up as much.

Anyway

A friend with a citreon C4 pointer out that Citreon have a stock part for cold weather running in constant subzero temps. It effectively blocks some airflow to the radiator meaning the car warms up quicker and can maintain proper operating temperature while cruising in the cold.

For outdoor Gokarts people use insulating tape on the radiator because they can't get to warm enough operating temperatures otherwise.

The citreon OEM part

http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.2.186

A homebrew attempt

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum ... ost_116477

I'm going to try making something tonight with plastic and zipties........ It isn't getting any warmer.

Im not sure how much of the radiator will be good to cover but as standard it is obviously over kill for subzero temperatures

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just done it

it slowed down the temp drop allright, i used about 1.5 feet of cardboard so more will be needed

and maby some behind the top grill

i like this idea

Me too.... Cardboard FOR THE WIN!

BEFORE

37.jpg?psid=1

AFTER

35.jpg?psid=1

I only blocked the lower half of the rad, so air still gets in via the grille.

I'll increase if it's not enough!

Bear in mind, I'd only driven a mile! So will see how it goes tomorrow after 90 mile commute!

Archived