What Performace Petrol Is In Your Tank!!!

knight

What Performace Petrol Is In Your Tank!!!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What Performace Petrol Is In Your Tank!!!

• BP Ultimate 97
    • Tesco 99
    • Shell V-Power
    • Sainsbury's 97
    • Morrisons 97
    • Esso 97
    • Other
    • Or just normal 95

I always use BP Ultimate 97 what do you chaps use??? Please correct me if i'm wrong on any petrol types listed!! If you vote! post what you use!!! so we all know who runs what!!! ;);)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting results test too:

Flywheel power

fueltest2poweratflywheelweb.jpg

Wheel power

fueltest2poweratwheelsweb.jpg

The General Conclusion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In simple terms, Shell V Power is near identical to the Optimax product that it replaced, in power and ‘feel’ terms it continued to out perform all 95 octane fuels and we’d still recommend owners of all performance cars use the highest quality fuel they can find. However the performance offered by the fuel was sometimes inconsistent.

The Tesco 99 fuel again outperformed V Power in all the tests but the differences between the two fuels were marginal and we doubt most people would tell the difference in their cars on a day to day basis. However the Tesco fuel was the most consistent.The BP 102 fuel showed the best gains in terms of ‘feel’ and performed better on the dyno and on initial fill up, when the fuel was fresh the power gains were noticeable even above the Tesco 99 fuel. However the gains seemed to dramatically diminish over time or with increases in engine bay temperature a feature which we are continuing to test.

The testing we have conducted deliberately concentrated purely on the performance gains offered by the premium fuels without reference to cost, cost is a financial measure not a performance one. However it would be puerile to simply ignore its reference in testing deigned for the general fuel buying public. In pure cost/performance terms its very hard to beat the Tesco product, on average the Tesco 99 fuel was 5-6% cheaper than the V Power (up to 10% cheaper when compared to some motorway fuel stations). The BP fuel at almost £2.50 a litre was obviously the most expensive and even with our £50,000 per year fuel bill it would be impossible to justify using the fuel with any degree of regularity - £147 to fill the tank of the CSL was even worthy of a picture of the pump price gauge.

Bottom line? Use the Tesco 99 fuel where you can find it, it offers the best, most consistent performance of the fuels available and it’s cheaper than V Power. If you can’t find a Tescos that sells it then go for Shell’s V Power. If you’re feeling really flush, have a point to prove on a rolling road day (days where car enthusiasts compare their cars power on a dyno) or want to extract the maximum potential out of the car on a track day then the BP 102 fuel is worth a go, just bear in mind that £150 a tank would pay for a good proportion of tyres or some decent driver training.Thorney Motorsport is continuing the fuel testing (we’ve made a rod for our own backs now it seems) so next up on the agenda is a performance test of all the race fuels currently available to see how they compare to the BP 012 fuel which we will undertake on our fleet of Vauxhall VX220 race cars and on our new Corsa VXR road car. We hope to have this next instalment (starting to feel like a soap opera now) at the end of the year. In the meantime we will continue to test the pump fuels and will continue to publish all of our findings.

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuni ... date.shtml

I use vpower in the supra because i had the car rolling roaded on BP Ultimate and the car made 326 whp and then i did it again on shell vpower and it made a 346 whp , 20 extra bhp for just changing the fuel :o Rich.

Archived