track tyres for mb2 1.4

MBcivicman421

After going out on track in my Dad's DC5 with R888s you realise how much give road tyres have, he's done a few track days on Bridgestone RE050s and Hankook V12s and they handle okay, by track tires are amazing :D Worth it if you can afford em.

harVTEC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if your suspension is stiff enough, full race slicks are great. loads more grip than 888's, direzzas etc.

I had a friendly trackday race against a track prepared xsara on hankook 15" slicks, he had an ultra close gearbox (he had changed to 4th when I was still in 2nd) and was quicker in a straight line, but in the corners I had loads more grip, could carry the speed and was 1.5 secs a lap quicker round mallory, but I could not pass him because he was quicker on the straights!

Corner speed is everything, you don't need big power, in fact, with little power (i only have 180bhp) the corner speed can make you as quick per lap as faster cars in a straight line on lesser rubber.

If you can find some 17" rims (I assume they fit as they do rover/mg) then ex clio cuo slicks are a good option, only 200 wide, so should fit under the arches and transform the car.

Archived